This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Wednesday 26 February, 2020
Advertisement

Ian Bailey remains a 'person of interest' in Du Plantier murder - Top garda tells court

Bailey’s case against the State has resumed after the Christmas break.

Image: Leah Farrell/Photocall Ireland

THE GARDA IN charge of the investigation into the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier has said that Ian Bailey remains a person of interest.

Chief Superintendent Thomas Hayes of Bandon garda station says that the facts of the case had not changed other than the evidence of witness Marie Farrell.

Hayes was giving evidence on the resumption of Bailey’s case against the State in which he claims wrongful arrested in relation to the murder of the French woman.

Hayes has held the senior position in Bandon garda station since 201o and said that, since the 1996 murder, a total of 54 people had been described as suspects.

Bailey was twice arrested in connection with the murder and Hayes told the court that he remains a “person of interest” for gardaí.

“The facts haven’t change other than the evidence of the witness who was here last week,” Hayes said in reference to Farrell.

Hayes added that suspicion of Bailey “had been amplified somewhat” by interviews given by him in which indicated that he was outside his house for a number of hours on the night of the murder. The garda said that Bailey had provided an explanation for this but that this had not been corroborated.

There has been “no formal surveillance” of Bailey since 1999 who added that any mentions of Bailey on the Pulse system during that times would have been as a result of gardaí seeing him in the locality.

Bailey alleges that he was unfairly targeted as a suspect in the murder investigation. He is suing An Garda Síochána, the Minister for Justice and the Attorney General for damages.

All parties deny the accusations.

First published 1.19pm

Read: ‘You’ll be found dead in a ditch’: Ian Bailey tells court he is ‘haunted by garda threat’ >

Read: Bruised eyes, torn hair and beatings: Ian Bailey’s domestic violence laid bare in packed courtroom>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS