Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Friday 27 January 2023 Dublin: 6°C
Iran International English Elnaz Rakabi represented Iran in the Asian Climbing Competitions finals in Seoul, South Korea
# Iran
Concern mounts for Iranian climber who competed without hijab
Elnaz Rekabi competed at an event in South Korea without a hijab, in what some saw as a gesture of solidarity with the women-led protests at home

LAST UPDATE | Oct 18th 2022, 3:13 PM

ALARM IS GROWING over the wellbeing of Iranian sports climber Elnaz Rekabi after she competed at an event in South Korea without a hijab in what some saw as a gesture of solidarity with the women-led protests at home.

Rekabi, 33, in her first comment since the event on Sunday apologised on Instagram for the “concerns” caused and insisted that her bare-headed appearance had been “unintentional”.

The Instagram post on the account of Rekabi on Tuesday said: “I apologise about what I did to make you worry.”

The post also claimed that she was rushed at the competition although video of the event in Seoul showed her relaxed before she reached the climbing wall. The post described her as “unintentionally” not wearing her hijab.

She had come fourth representing Iran in the boulder and lead combined event at the Asian Championships in Seoul.

In the initial bouldering discipline her head was covered with a bandana but in the later lead climbing, scaling a high wall with a rope, she wore only a headband, the stream posted by the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) showed.

This was in breach of the Islamic republic’s mandatory dress rules of compulsory headscarf for women which also apply to all female athletes, even when competing abroad.

image (5)

In a statement, the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) said it has been in contact with Rekabi, and its understanding is that she is returning to Iran.

“We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops on her arrival,” the statement said.

“It is important to stress that athletes’ safety is paramount for us and we support any efforts to keep a valued member of our community safe in this situation.

“The IFSC fully support the rights of athletes, their choices, and expression of free speech.”

The gesture came one month into protests in Iran over the death of Mahsa Amini, arrested by Tehran police for allegedly violating the dress rules, which have transformed into a movement against the obligatory hijab and the Islamic republic itself.

Supporters of the protests on social media described Rekabi as a “hero”, posting images of her climbing up the letters of the protest slogan “Woman. Life. Freedom.”

Nothing had been heard since the event from Rekabi until a story was published this morning on her Instagram account where she has over 200,000 followers.

“I firstly apologise for all the concerns I have caused,” the statement said.

Due to the timing and sudden call to begin the climb “my hijab unintentionally became problematic”, it said.

“I am currently on my way back to Iran alongside the team based on the pre-scheduled timetable,” it added.

Pressure in Seoul
However, there was alarm over under what circumstances the statement had emerged after unconfirmed reports suggested she had been pressured by Iranian officials in South Korea.

BBC Persian quoted an unnamed source as saying that friends had been unable to contact her and the team had left their hotel on Seoul yesterday, earlier than the scheduled departure date of tomorrow, Wednesday.

It said her mobile phone and passport had been taken from her.

Meanwhile news website Iran Wire reported that the head of Iran’s climbing federation had “tricked” her into entering the Iranian embassy in Seoul and that she would then be taken directly to the airport.

It said the federation chief had promised her safe passage to Iran if she handed over her phone and passport.

The website alleged that Rekabi would be immediately transferred to Tehran’s notorious Evin Prison after arriving in the country.

The Iranian embassy in Seoul, however, issued a statement to AFP denying “all the fake, false news and disinformation regarding” her situation and adding Rekabi had left South Korea along with her teammates today.

The embassy tweeted a photo of of her wearing a headscarf at a previous competition in Moscow, where she also took a bronze medal, instead of a photo of her from this week’s Seoul competition.

The spokesperson for the UN office of the high commissioner for human rights, Ravina Shamdasani, said the UN was “aware” of the case and concerns were being raised with the Iranian authorities.

“Women should never be prosecuted for what they wear. They should never be subjected to violations such as arbitrary detention or any kind of violence with regards to what they wear,” she said in Geneva.

“We will be following this case very closely.”

Taboo-breaking
Rekabi is believed to be the second Iranian woman to have appeared in competition without a headscarf after boxer Sadaf Khadem appeared bare-headed in a bout in France in 2019. Khadem did not return to Iran and now lives in exile in France.

Sport has become a hugely sensitive arena during the protests, with several prominent Iranian female athletes expressing support for women’s rights.

Famous footballers have also been caught up in the crackdown with former international player Hossein Mahini arrested and the world’s ex-top scorer Ali Daei having his passport confiscated. Daei’s document was returned while Mahini was reportedly freed on bail.

Iran’s Fars news agency, which reflects hardline views, published an editorial today critical of Rekabi but avoided mentioning her by name.

It asked why “Western, Zionist and Saudi” media had not paid attention to victories by Iranian women wearing headscarves in the last days in athletics and weightlifting but instead “highlighted the performance of a girl with unconventional behaviour”.

Rights groups have long accused Iran of pressuring people deemed to have violated its laws into so-called confessions either on television or social media.

© AFP 2022

COMMENTS (24)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel