Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Irish officials flying out to Philippines to assess aid strategy

Latest figures estimate 4.3 million people lost their homes, double the number of those made homeless by the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004.

Typhoon survivors take part procession for the victims in Palo township, Leyte province
Typhoon survivors take part procession for the victims in Palo township, Leyte province
Image: Bullit Marquez/AP/Press Association Images

A TEAM OF experts from the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Defence Forces will fly out to the Philippines this week to assess how the Irish typhoon aid effort should proceed.

It’s planned they’ll travel on Wednesday and take part in meetings in Manila with the Filipino Government, UN agencies and NGOs, before visiting Irish-funded relief programmes in the areas worst affected by the storm.

Ireland has donated €2.6 in funding to the international relief effort to date, while three airlifts of shelter, water, sanitation and other emergency supplies worth around €845,000 have also taken place.

“We have charged the team with assessing how Ireland can be most effective in responding to the longer-term needs of communities in the Philippines,” Foreign Affairs Minister Eamon Gilmore said.

The team will report back with recommendations on how to proceed once the mission is complete.

Typhoon Haiyan left almost 7,000 people dead or missing when it swept through the central Philippine islands earlier this month.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

The government says about 4.3 million people lost their homes in the typhoon, double the number of those made homeless by the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004.

Related: Concern CEO: We need to look beyond short-term aid in Philippines

Gallery: GOAL prepares 40 tonnes of aid for the Philippines as Pope leads prayers

About the author:

Daragh Brophy

Read next:

COMMENTS (18)