#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Thursday 22 October 2020
Advertisement

Update: 'No reason to believe' Irish people caught up in Nice terror attack

There had been reports of a man critically injured but the Department of Foreign Affairs is satisfied there is no cause for concern in this case.

Updated 16/07/2016

THE DEPARTMENT OF Foreign Affairs has said it is satisfied there is no longer cause for concern in the case of an Irish citizen, after reports of a man being injured in the Nice truck attack.

Reports yesterday indicated the man had been critically injured, but this morning the department said that, after intensive follow-up, it is satisfied there is no cause for concern in that case. The man who was feared injured is believed to be safe and well.

Officials are working to establish contact with a small number of people with whom contact has not yet been made, but the department has no reason to believe that any of these have been caught up in the incident.

“Efforts now are focused on making contact with a small number of individuals in order to assure ourselves that they are safe and well,” it said.

More than 60 specific enquiries expressing concern about one or more Irish citizens were received on 14 and 15 July.

84 people were killed and 18 people remain critically injured following the attack, which saw a man drive a truck at speed through crowds celebrating Bastille Day on the city promenade.

The driver of the truck, a 31-year-old male named as Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, was subsequently shot and killed by police.

- With reporting by Cianan Brenan. 

First published 15/07/2016

Read: “Monstrosity”: Horror moment when truck ploughs through crowd in Nice

Read next:

COMMENTS (170)