This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 8 °C Friday 6 December, 2019

UPDATE: Mother of Irish toddler killed in Devon road crash loses unborn baby

Another man died in the incident which also left the boy’s parents critically injured in hospital. Attempts are being made to contact the family’s relatives in Ireland.

Hamelin Way in Torquay, southwest England
Hamelin Way in Torquay, southwest England
Image: Google Street View

Updated 6.05pm

THE MOTHER OF the Irish toddler who died in a road crash in the southwest of England has lost her unborn baby.

The BBC reports that the woman remains in a critical condition after medical staff were unable to save her unborn child. The toddler’s father is in intensive care after undergoing surgery.

A man in his twenties also died in the collision.

The two-year-old boy had been travelling with his parents in the Irish registered car when it collided with a Vauxhall Vectra travelling on Hamelin Way in Torquay in Devon at around 2.45pm yesterday afternoon.

All four people involved in the collision sustained serious injuries in the incident which took place between Gallows Gate and Kerswell Gardens, Devon and Cornwall Police say.

The parents of the boy, both in their 30s, are in a critical condition with the man taken by ambulance to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth and the woman and the child taken to Torbay Hospital in Torquay by air ambulance.

The two-year-old later died of his injuries. Attempts are being made to contact relatives of the family in Ireland.

The man in the other car, a Polish national living in the area, was serious injured and, according to BBC News, had been arrested at the scene.

He has since died in Derriford Hospital in Plymouth having been brought there by the air ambulance.

The road has been closed until further notice and the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission in England as it was witnessed by a police officer.

The officer had not been in pursuit of the vehicles, police said.

– Additional reporting by Emer McLysaght

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next: