IRISH WATER HAS received around 40 reports of people disobeying the hosepipe ban.
A hosepipe ban for the Greater Dublin Region came into effect on Monday and the ban became nationwide at 8am today.
It’s currently in place until midnight on 31 July as drought conditions continue across the country.
Irish Water is appealing to everyone to conserve water and says that while the vast majority of people are supporting the ban, a small number of people are ignoring it.
Irish Water’s Corporate Affairs Manager Kate Gannon said, “We are really grateful for the measures that people have taken to conserve water so far.
We know that the vast majority of people are supporting the ban, though we have reports of around 40 incidents of hosepipe usage in contravention of it and we again appeal to those people to comply with these essential minimum measures to safeguard our water supplies.
Last month was the driest June on record in the Phoenix Park since 1850 with Met Éireann forecasting drought conditions to continue for the foreseeable future.
Gannon added that the drought management team are meeting daily to assess and analyse water demand and consumption levels for every area in the country.
“As water levels continue to deplete in rivers and lakes and groundwater sources run dry, we will assess if further restrictions are required to help protect water supplies now and for the months ahead.
“Met Éireann has forecast that high temperatures will remain for the foreseeable future and this highlights the need for everyone to play their part and conserve water as much as possible, to follow our advice and tips and to comply with the Water Conservation Order in place.”
Temperatures are set to reach as high as 28 degrees this weekend.