HEADING OUT IN Dublin today? Expect a number of traffic restrictions as almost 2000 athletes take part in a major event.
Ironman 70.3 Dublin takes place today and will see close to 2000 athletes from 38 countries competing, over 1200 of whom will be from Ireland.
The race will see athletes take on a 1.2 mile swim at Dun Laoghaire, 56 mile bike through the Dublin city centre and out west of the city before returning to Phoenix Park for a 13.1 mile run.
This necessitates a number of road closures. An Garda Síochána Mapping Section have created an interactive map which will be updated live showing the progress of the event and the lifting of road closures. It can be found here.
The swim will take place early morning in Scotsman’s Bay, Dún Laoghaire, followed by a cycle from Dún Laoghaire via Coast Road, East Link Bridge and Dublin City North Quays, to Chapelizod, Lower Road (Strawberry Beds), Barnhill Cross Road (via Stanford Hill), Westmanstown Road, Leixlip, Moyglare Road, Kilcock, R125, R156, Kennedy Road, Dunboyne, Navan Road, Station Road, Tinker’s Hill, Lower Road (Strawberry Beds) before entering the Phoenix Park at Knockmaroon Gate entrance.
The run will then take place in the Phoenix Park.
Dublin City Council has a full list of closures.
20 August, 4am – 10am
- Windsor Terrace, Newtownsmith, Marine Parade, Otranto Place, Sandycove Avenue West and Sandycove Point.
- Sandycove Avenue West from its junction with R831 Marine Parade to its junction with Sandycove Point.
20 August, 6.30 – 9.45 hours
- R831 Newtownsmith over its full length.
- Windsor Terrace
- R118 Queen’s Road over its full length.
- N31 Crofton Road over its full length.
- N31Old Dunleary Road over its full length.
- N31 Longford Terrace over its full length.
- 7 Clifton Lane
- N31 Seapoint Avenue over its full length.
- N31 Newton Avenue from its junction with N31 Seapoint Avenue to its junction with N31 Temple Road.
- N31 Temple road over its full length.
- 11.N31 Frascati Road over its full length
- 12. R118 Rock Road over its full length
In the administrative area of Dublin City Council:
7am to 10.15am on 20 August.
Strand Road, Beach Road, Sean Moore Road, East Link Road & Bridge, North Wall Quay, Samuel Beckett Bridge, Custom House Quay, Talbot Memorial Bridge, Butt Bridge, Eden Quay, O’Connell Bridge, Bachelors Walk, Ormond Quay Lower & Upper, Grattan Bridge, O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Inns Quay, Father Matthew Bridge, Arran Quay, Mellows Bridge, Ellis Quay, James Joyce Bridge, Rory O’More Bridge, Sarsfield Quay, WolfeTone Quay, Frank Sherwin Bridge, Parkgate Street and Infirmary Road.
In the administrative area of Fingal County Council:
- Knockmaroon Hill, Tower Road, Lower Road (Strawberry Beds), L3103 Lower Lucan Road from 7am to 1.30pm on Sunday 20 August.
- Lucan Liffey Bridge R109, via L3005 Liffey Bridge-Barnhill Cross Road via Stanford Hill and L3004 Laraghcon Distributor Road 7am – 10.30am.
- L3005 Liffey Bridge-Barnhill Cross Road from Stanford Hill/ Laraghcon Distributor Road via L3005 Liffey Bridge-Barnhill Cross Road to L3005 Collins Bridge, to the junction of the R149 Confey Road to Kildare County Council boundary from 7am to 1.15pm.
- R149 from Junction of L222 Sterling Road and R149 Clonee Road from Meath County Boundary via R149 through Barnhill Cross Roads to L3010 Westmanstown Road onto R121 (Tinkers Hill) from 7am to 1.15pm.
In the administrative area of Meath County Council:
- The R157 from the Meath/Kildare Boundary at Offaly Bridge to its junction with the L-22143 7.30am – 11.15am (Townlands of Moygaddy)
- The L-22143 from its junction with the R157 to its junction with the L-6219 7.30am – 11.15am (Townlands of Moygaddy)
- The L-6219 from its junction with the L-22143 to its junction with the L-2212 7.30am – 11.15am (Townlands Moygaddy, Moyglare and Newtownmoyaghy)
- The L-6219 from its junction with the L-2212 to its junction with the R125 8am – 11.45am (Townlands Moygaddy, Moyglare & Newtownmoyaghy)
- The R125 from its junction with the L-6219 to the County Meath/Kildare Boundary at Meath Bridge 8am – 11.45 (Townlands Newtownmoyaghy)
- The R125 from its junction with the L-6219 to its junction with the L-6228. 8am – 11.45am. The R125 from its junction with the L-6228 to its junction with the R156 at Mullagh Cross. 8am – 12.15pm (Townlands Newtownmoyaghy, Dolanstown, Balfeaghan, Phepotstown, Martinstown, Kemmins Mill, Mullagh).
- The R156 from its junction with the R125 at Mullagh Cross to its junction with the L-6222 8am- 12.45pm (Townlands Mullagh, Jenkinstown, Warrenstown, Barstown, Cullendragh, Lynaghstown, Blackhall Big, Staffordstown Little, Waynestown, Harlockstown, Vesingstown & Baytown Park)
- The L-6222 from its junction with the R156 to its junction with the L-2216 8am – 12.45pm (Townlands Baytown Park & Vesingstown)
- The L-2216 from its junction with the L-6222 to the junction with the L-2227(Old Navan Road) 8:00 – 12:45 (Townlands Warrenstown, Beggstown, Cushinstown, Naulstown & Dunboyne)
- The L-2227 (Old Navan Road) from its junction with the L-2216 to its junction with the L2228 Dunboyne / Summerhill Road 8.15am – 12.45pm (Townland Dunboyne)
- The L-2228 from its junction with the L-2227 to its junction with the L-2221 (Rooske Road) 8.15am – 1pm (Townlands Castlefarm & Dunboyne)
- The L-2221 (Rooske Road) from its junction with the L-2228 to its junction with the L-2222 8.15am – 1.15pm (Townlands Dunboyne, Castlefarm, Rush, Ellickstown & Clonee)
- The L-2222 from its junction with the L-2221 (Rooske Road) to its junction with the R-149 8.30am – 1.15pm (Townlands Hilltown & Clonee)
- The R149 from its junction with the L-2222 to the County Meath/Dublin Boundary 8.30am – 1.15pm (Townlands Hilltown & Clonee)
In the administrative area of Kildare County Council:
Section 1 (7am – 1.15pm):
- R149 Confey Road from County boundary with Fingal County Council at Allenswood (Royal Canal Slipway) to junction with L1015 at Confey (Captains Hill).
- L1015 for its entire length (Junction at Confey/Captains Hills 4 (R149) to junction at Kellystown Lane).
- L1014 from its junction with Kellystown Lane / L1015 to its junction with R157 at old Carton.
- Maynooth/ Dunboyne Road (R157) from its junction with L1014 at Old Carton to the Meath County boundary at Old Carton.
Section 2 (8am to 11.45am)
- Kilcock/ Dunshauglin Road (R125) from Meath County boundary at ‘County Meath Bridge’ to its junction with R148 (Dublin Road) at Kilcock square.
In the Phoenix Park
Roads to be closed to vehicular traffic and period of closure:
Sunday 20 August from 6.30am to 5pm
- Furze Road, Acres Road, Old Lamp Road, Ordnance Survey Road, Whites Road, Upper Glen Road, Knockmaroon Road and Visitor Centre Road access.
- Chesterfield Avenue from Mountjoy Roundabout to Phoenix the normal closure will apply from 8pm on Friday 18 August until 9pm on Sunday 20 August (one hour later than normal on Sunday).
Gates to be closed
Sunday 20 August
- Knockmaroon gate from 6.30am to 5pm
- Chapelizod gate from 6.30am to 5pm
- Islandbridge gate from 6.30am to 10.30am and two-way access / egress after 10.30am until 5pm
- Main gate restricted access between 6.30am and 10.30am.
Traffic will be halted or diverted at the following locations:
- Gough Roundabout to North Road or Wellington Road (access to Chesterfield Avenue for Zoo and sporting facilities only) Wellington Road & Military Road for access to St Mary’s Hospital and Cara Cheshire Home
According to DCC, traffic diversions in Dublin City will involve:
- Traffic from Dun Laoghaire wishing to access Dublin City Centre will be diverted via Stillorgan Road and Donnybrook.
- Traffic diversions will vary as the race proceeds.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained.