Advertisement
jason cierans

Cork man put in coma by one-punch Sydney attack leaves intensive care

Jason Cierans will need surgery, but is awake and responsive.

THE CORK MAN who was put into a coma after a one-punch attack in Sydney has left intensive care.

29-year-old Jason Cierans has been in hospital since being punched in the eastern Sydney suburb of Bondi Junction on 22 August.

He woke from the coma on Tuesday and was moved to a neurology unit in recent days.

His family told the Evening Echo that he will require further surgery, but is “definitely on the mend”.

Earlier this week, his aunt Fidelma spoke to Cork’s RedFm and said the family were overjoyed.

“The relief is unbelievable, we were actually jumping for joy yesterday at the thought of our nephew, her son my mum’s grandchild opening his eyes and everything. All our prayers have been answered all week.”

A 30-year-old Argentinian national named Adrian Gabriel Martinez has been charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm following the attack.

A fundraising page has been established to help the Cierans family and has already raised thousands of euro.

Read: “We were actually jumping for joy” – Cork man injured in one-punch attack wakes from coma

Read: Cork man in induced coma after being assaulted in Sydney

Your Voice
Readers Comments
15
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.