#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 8°C Wednesday 21 October 2020
Advertisement

Family of Irishman killed in US to find out if they can bring his children home

Jason Corbett’s children are currently in the care of their stepmother, who is the main suspect in the case.

Tracey Lynch with her brother Jason Corbett
Tracey Lynch with her brother Jason Corbett

THE BODY OF Limerick man Jason Corbett has been flown back to Ireland from the US this morning.

The 39-year-old died in his North Carolina home last week after a domestic incident.

His two children are currently in the care of Corbett’s second wife Molly Martins, the main suspect in the case.

Corbett is to be laid to rest with his first wife who passed away from an asthma attack eight years ago.

Corbett’s sister Tracey Lynch and her husband David traveled over to the US last week to try and bring their niece and nephew, Jack (10) and Sarah (8), back to Ireland.

However, they have not been able to meet the children since arriving in North Carolina.

A guardianship hearing to determine custody of his children is due to take place tomorrow.

Tracey said her brother had left written instructions requesting that she and her husband become his children’s legal guardians in the event of his death. David said:

It shouldn’t have even got to this. These children are two Irish citizens…they were linked to Jason’s work visa. They are technically illegal in the United States now.

“We’re just lost here and we don’t know what to do. This whole thing is just a nightmare.”

The family also insist that Jason will not be buried until his children are back in Ireland.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The Minister for Education Jan O’Sullivan said yesterday that her colleague  Charlie Flanagan is willing to intervene to help but she added that it may not be the most appropriate course of action as there are legal issues which the consulate is currently dealing with.

An online petition and has been set up and a fundraising page has also been created to raise funds to bring the children home. 

Read: Sister of Limerick man killed in US: ‘He wanted his children to be raised in Ireland’>

Read: Family of Irishman killed in US struggling to bring his children back to Ireland>

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (25)