We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Jason Corbett Facebook
Jason Corbett

Paramedic tells court that Jason Corbett 'felt cool' and had dried blood on his face

Amanda Hackworth, a Davidson County paramedic, said she reached her arm over Jason Corbett’s body and felt the coolness.

A PARAMEDIC TESTIFYING at the North Carolina trial for the 2015 killing of Irishman Jason Corbett has said his torso “felt cool” while he was in the ambulance.

Amanda Hackworth, a Davidson County paramedic, said she reached her arm over Jason Corbett’s body and felt the coolness.

Molly Corbett (33) and her father, Thomas Michael Martens (67) are each charged with second-degree murder in the 2015 death of Corbett’s husband, who was originally from Co Limerick.

They have entered pleas of not guilty, claiming self-defence and defence of another.

On 2 August, 2015, Davidson County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a report that day of an assault at the Corbetts’ home at Panther Creek Court in Wallburg.

Hackworth testified that she told police Sergeant Barry Alphin about the cool torso and asked him how long Molly Corbett and Martens waited to call 911. Hackworth testified that Alphin responded by saying Martens and Molly Corbett called 911 as soon as Jason Corbett “went down”.

Hackworth later stated that she saw dry blood on Jason Corbett’s chest and near his eye.

David Bent, another paramedic who worked on Jason Corbett, said that when he arrived on scene, white pads were placed on Jason Corbett’s body in the master bedroom.

Bent said the pads detected no heart activity. When Jason Corbett was transported to the ambulance, Bent assisted with treatment. He said he didn’t notice any blonde hairs in Jason Corbett’s hand. During opening statements on Tuesday, defence lawyers Walter Holton and David Freedman alleged that Jason Corbett was clutching a strand of blond hair in his hand.

Bent later testified that he checked on Molly Corbett, and she told him that she had been choked.

Bent said he didn’t notice any injuries, but he did see “light redness” on her neck. According to the paramedic, Molly Corbett’s heart rate was 120. Bent said the normal heart rate for an adult is between 60-100 beats per minute. He also stated that Molly Corbett signed a refusal form, which means she made the decision not to receive treatment.

David Dillard, a former officer with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office, testified that he escorted Molly Corbett to his patrol vehicle.

Dillard said he saw no injuries on Molly Corbett, but noted that she had dry blood on her forehead and the side of her face. Dillard said Molly Corbett was making crying noises, but he saw no tears. The officer testified that Molly Corbett was also scrubbing her neck. Dillard wrote in a later statement that Molly Corbett appeared to be in shock.

One of Molly and Jason Corbett’s neighbours, David Fritzsche, described his and Jason Corbett’s relationship as “friendly”. He testified that he participated in a soccer league with Jason Corbett in the summer of 2015. On the day of 1 August 2015, the neighbour testified that he and Jason Corbett were cutting grass. Afterward, the neighbour testified that he and Jason Corbett sat in chairs and drank seven or eight beers together.

Fritzsche said Molly Corbett’s parents arrived at 8.30pm and Jason Corbett went to help with unpacking the car. The neighbour said Jason and Molly Corbett both appeared calm at this time.

At 3.30am on 2 August 2015 the neighbour testified that he went to use the bathroom and could see the crime scene from his window, but he went back to bed.

The neighbour said Molly Corbett was brought to his home around 5.30am by a law enforcement officer.

He testified that Molly Corbett was visibly upset, and didn’t notice any injuries.

The trial continues.

Ben Coley - The Lexington Dispatch