We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Niall Carson/PA Wire/Press Association Images
Gunned Down

John Gilligan ‘could be permanently damaged’ after shooting

The crime boss was shot four times at a christening party last night.

Updated 20.10pm

CRIME BOSS JOHN Gilligan is likely to survive the attempt on his life, but may have suffered permanent damage.

Gilligan was shot four times during a christening celebration at his brother’s house in Greenfort Terrace in Clondalkin.

He was taken to Blanchardstown Hospital, where his injuries were described as not life threatening.

Sources indicate that while Gilligan was responsive in the ambulance, he may have sustained lasting damage from the shots to his chest and leg.

Gilligan attempted to flee his attacker by running to the kitchen, but was shot at close range.

There were reports the 61-year-old was wearing a bulletproof vest, which may have saved his life, but this is not believed to be the case.

imageA member of the Garda Síochána outside the house in which John Gilligan was shot last night (Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland)

The crime lord was in the house prior to heading to a nearby pub for a family christening.

Gardaí believe that he may have been followed from his Jessbrook estate.

He received a wound to his leg which shattered his tibia, was shot in the chest and his hip, as well as having a bullet graze his head. An ambulance took him to James Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown, where he is recovering today.


The crime boss was the key suspect in the slaying of Sunday Independent journalist Veronica Guerin, but he was acquitted of the murder in 2002.

In 2001 he was sentenced to 28 years in prison for drug trafficking.

Gilligan was released from prison last October, with an attempt later made on his life.

A gunman entered the Halfway House pub on the Navan Road asking for Gilligan, who was at another pub in the area.

However, Gilligan claimed that was a “Halloween prank”.

Updated 07.35am

Read: John Gilligan shot during christening celebrations in Clondalkin

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.