We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

John O'Shea. Ryan Byrne/INPHO
John Snow

Snow joke - O'Shea unveiling postponed with several LOI games called off

O’Shea’s official unveiling has been put back to Monday, with Shamrock Rovers v Drogheda and Bohemians v Dundalk also postponed.


THE SUDDEN BLANKETING of Dublin with snow has upended plans at the FAI, with a press conference to unveil John O’Shea as the interim head coach of the Irish senior men’s team postponed to Monday. 

Today marks the 100th day of the FAIs search for Stephen Kenny’s successor, and with nobody in place for the friendly games against Belgium and Switzerland at the end of this month, John O’Shea has been appointed to the job in an interim capacity. 

O’Shea was due to meet the media alongside director of football Marc Canham later today, but with O’Shea due to fly in for the event, the decision has been made to postpone until next Monday afternoon.

Meanwhile, tonight’s LOI Premier Division game between Shamrock Rovers and Drogheda has been postponed, following a pitch inspection at 1.30pm.

The meeting of Bohemians and Dundalk has also been called off due to failed pitch inspection at Dalymount Park.

a-general-view-of-a-snow-covered-dalymount-park A general view of a snow covered Dalymount Park. Tom Maher / INPHO Tom Maher / INPHO / INPHO

And the First Division matches between Wexford and Cobh Ramblers at Ferrycarrig Park, and Bray Wanderers and Longford Town at the Carlisle Grounds, have also fallen foul of the weather.

The League of Ireland say rescheduled dates will be issued in due course.

Elsewhere, there will be track inspections at Leopardstown and Navan to determine if the weekend’s racing will go ahead, as per separate statements.

“Following 14mm of rain overnight and heavy snowfall today, the track at Leopardstown is currently unfit for racing. There will be an 8am inspection tomorrow (Saturday) to determine if the fixture scheduled to take place on Sunday 3 March can go ahead.”

“Following 27mm of rain since yesterday and with the forecast for further rain today, there will be a 7.30am inspection at Navan tomorrow (Saturday) to determine if the fixture scheduled to take place on Saturday 2 March can go ahead.”

Written by Gavin Cooney and Emma Duffy. The Journal publishes the biggest breaking news in Irish and international sport but for all of The 42′s insightful analysis and sharp sportswriting, subscribe here.