Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Wednesday 29 November 2023 Dublin: 3°C
Co Clare

Kayaker spends almost two hours trapped in deep gorge after getting into difficulty

Five other kayakers managed to escape the incident.

Clare Kayaker Rescue 1 Pat Flynn The kayakers got into trouble in a deep gorge where the river narrows. Pat Flynn

A KAYAKER SPENT almost two hours trapped in a raging river in a 35ft deep gorge in Co Clare while five others managed to escape to safety.

The alarm was raised shortly before 4pm today when it was reported that a group of kayakers had gotten into difficulty near Doolin.

They had been kayaking down the Aille River which runs between Lisdoonvarna and Doolin when they got into trouble.

A multi-agency rescue operation was promptly mounted involving Clare County Fire and Rescue Service, the Irish Coast Guard and National Ambulance Service. Gardaí also attended the incident.

Two units of the fire brigade from Ennistymon, including members specially trained in swift water rescue, were sent to the scene along with additional personnel from Ennis. The Doolin unit of the Irish Coast Guard was also tasked to the incident.

The kayakers got into trouble in a deep gorge where the river narrows.

Clare Kayaker Rescue 2 Pat Flynn Rescue teams at the scene of the incident Pat Flynn

Five of the group managed to climb onto the bank and pull themselves to safety. They were scored to safety by fire service personnel.

One man, however, was left trapped in the river.

It’s understood that he grabbed onto a rock and held on for a time. When he realised he would not be able to get out by himself, the alarm was raised by his friends.

Fire service personnel from Ennistymon were first to arrive at the scene and had to use a 4×4 vehicle to negotiate a muddy track to reach the scene. Fire crews also used chainsaws to cut away trees and shrubbery before they could climb down to the casualty while secured by ropes.

The Shannon-based Coast Guard helicopter, Rescue 115, was placed on standby but wasn’t tasked as the casualty was said not to be in imminent danger.

Doolin Coast Guard personnel used an all-terrain vehicle to help them access the area and transport climbing equipment. Members also climbed down the steep gorge wall to assist fire crews.

Almost two hours after the alarm was raised, the casualty was safely recovered from the gorge. He was initially assessed by first responders and later by a National Ambulance Service advanced paramedic.

A second kayaker was also assessed after he suffered a head injury but it was not reported to be serious. After being checked over by the advanced paramedic both were reunited with their friends and allowed return home.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel