#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 16°C Friday 24 September 2021
Advertisement

Former RTÉ producer charged with 17 child sex offences unable to take up bail, court hears

KIeran Creaven faced his second hearing when he appeared at Cloverhill District Court today.

Image: RTE

FORMER RTÉ PRODUCER Kieran Creaven, who has been charged with 17 child abuse offences in Ireland and outside the State, has been unable to take up bail.

The 58-year-old was arrested at his home at Adelaide Street, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin last week. Conditional bail in his own bond of €500 with a requirement for a €10,000 independent surety had been set on October 1.

Mr Creaven faced his second hearing when he appeared at Cloverhill District Court today. He was still in custody.

Judge Victor Blake noted the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment and a book of evidence needed to be completed.

Detective Garda Johanna Doyle, who is attached to the Online Child Exploitation Unit, has sent the file to the DPP, a State solicitor told the court.

It was a “large and significant file” and the case was at stage one, the prosecution said.

Defence counsel Sharon Rossiter told the court there was consent to a four-week adjournment.

Mr Creaven, wearing a grey tracksuit and a mask, did not address the court, but spoke briefly to his barrister.

Judge Blake remanded the unemployed former broadcaster in continuing custody with consent to bail to appear again on November 4 next for a book of evidence to be served.

Mr Creaven’s charges are:

  • Two counts of sexual assault of a child outside the State in 2014
  • Three counts of sexual exploitation of a child outside the State in 2014
  • Three counts of sexually exploiting a child in Ireland in 2017
  • Five counts of possessing of child pornography in 2017
  • Four count of using IT and communication technology for the purpose of facilitating child sexual exploitation, inside and outside of the State in 2017.

Some of the charges carry a possible sentence of life imprisonment. He has not yet indicated how he will plead.

At his first hearing, Detective Garda Doyle said it was alleged a search was carried out at Mr Creaven’s home in November 2017 which resulted in a discovery of pictures and videos of children. A large number of electronic devices were seized, she had said.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

His solicitor had said it could be difficult for him to find someone to act as as a surety.

If bail is taken up, he must sign on daily at Dun Laoghaire Garda station between 9am and 9pm.

He must “not use any social media platform, in particular Facebook and Skype”.

He has to surrender his passport within 48 hours of taking up bail, and notify gardai of any change of address.

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next:

COMMENTS