We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

The victim of the attack: Quamari Serunkuma-Barnes Metropolitan Police

Teenager found guilty of stabbing schoolboy (15) to death

The teenager stabbed his victim multiple times in his back, shoulder and upper leg.

A TEENAGER WHO stabbed a schoolboy to death moments after he left his school gates in London has been found guilty of murder today.

The 15-year-old boy from Norbury, west London, will be sentenced for the murder of Quamari Serunkuma-Barnes this September.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has not disclosed a reason as to why he attacked Barnes.

The jury heard how on 23 January, Quamari left his school in Willesden at the end of the school day unaware that just a short distance from the gates the boy was laying waiting to attack him.

Within seconds of the confrontation, Quamari was heard shouting that he was going to be stabbed.

He quickly turned on his heels and ran off in the direction of his school.

Quamari weaved in and out of traffic as he tried to get away from the attacker. The jury heard that many of the students who were making their way home thought the two boys were just playing.

The boy outran Quamari and grabbed him.

He proceeded to stab him multiple times in his back, shoulder and upper leg.

The boy fled the scene as Quamari fell to the ground.

Some of the schoolchildren who had witnessed the attack came to Quamari’s aid and two drivers stopped at the scene. One of the drivers tried to comfort and reassure him as he lay injured.

Cardiac arrest

Metropolitan Police and the London Ambulance Service were called to the scene and he was taken to a central London hospital.

Doctors initially thought his injuries were not life threatening but during surgery Quamari’s health deteriorated. He went into cardiac arrest and passed away at 8pm that evening.

A murder investigation was immediately launched and through CCTV enquiries the teenage boy was identified as a suspect.

On 24 January, a detective texted the teenage boy asking him to make contact with the investigation team.

The teenage boy made contact and advised that he was at home, where the detectives immediately arrested him.

The boy was charged with Quamari’s murder on 26 January.

Detective chief inspector Jamie Stevenson from the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: 

“This was a deliberate and planned attack on a defenceless schoolboy as he made his way home laughing and joking with friends.

“Quamari didn’t stand a chance that day. He was outrun by his attacker who had an advantage over his victim in that he was an adept runner and was able to quickly catch up with Quamari,” he said.

Quamari was well liked amongst his peers and six months on from his murder the loss is still felt. This was a senseless attack – Quamari had his whole life ahead of him.

Read: ‘If this was a white person .. It’d be all over the news’: Muslim acid attack victim speaks out

More: Man arrested over serious assault in Carlow which left woman unconscious

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.