We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Victoria Jones

Met Police say London stabbing attack is believed to be 'Islamist-related'

Police fatally shot a man, who was wearing a hoax device, at the scene in Streatham this afternoon.

LAST UPDATE | 2 Feb 2020

A MAN HAS been shot dead by police, two people were stabbed and a third person was injured after an Islamist-related terror attack in London this afternoon.

The Met Police have confirmed that the man who was shot has been pronounced dead, and said that he had been wearing a hoax device.

Although the police had said previously that they believed two people had been injured, the London Ambulance Service has since clarified that three people were treated at the scene and taken to hospital.

The Met Police said that one person is “in a life-threatening condition. We are in the process of informing their family.”

A second victim was treated for minor injuries at the scene before being taken to hospital – these injuries are believed to have been caused by glass following shots fired by police.

A third victim has been taken to hospital – their condition is not life-threatening.
The incident, which took place in Streatham at 2pm today, has been declared as “terrorist-related”.

“The circumstances are being assessed; the incident has been declared as terrorist-related,” the Metropolitan Police tweeted

streatham-shooting Items left on the pavement at the scene in Streatham High Road, south London. Victoria Jones Victoria Jones

A Met Police Statement

DAC Lucy D’Orsi released a statement this evenin to give an update on the attack. She said that the terrorist attack was believed to be “Islamist-related”, and confirmed that the suspect who was shot dead was wearing a hoax device.

A device was found strapped to the body of the suspect and specialist officers attended. Cordons were put in place and it was quickly established that this was a hoax device.

“We would like to thank the members of the public who assisted officers and ambulance staff this afternoon following a very confusing and alarming incident.

“Public safety is obviously our top priority and to reassure the public we will be enhancing police patrols in the area.

“I would like to reiterate our pleas for common sense and restraint in circulating pictures and videos of this incident – including images of the officers involved and of the victims.”

A spokeswoman for London Ambulance Service told the Press Association: “We were called at 1.58pm today to reports of an incident in Streatham High Road.

“We are working closely with the other emergency services and are treating a number of patients at the scene. We will provide more details as soon as they are available.”

In response to a witnesses claim that he was left tending to the wounds of an injured person for 30 minutes before paramedics arrived, Graham Norton of the London Ambulance Service said:

“We worked closely with the other emergency services and sent a number of resources including five ambulance crews, an advanced paramedic practitioner, an incident response officer and a motorcycle responder, and we also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance.

The first of our medics arrived in four minutes, and were initially directed to a rendezvous point until the Let Police confirmed it was safe for them to approach and treat patients.

Eyewitness account

A 19-year-old student from Streatham, claimed to have witnessed the shooting on Streatham High Road.

He told the Press Association: “I was crossing the road when I saw a man with a machete and silver canisters on his chest being chased by what I assume was an undercover police officer – as they were in civilian clothing.

“The man was then shot. I think I heard three gunshots but I can’t quite remember. After that I ran into the library to get to safety.”

A large police cordon stretches from Streatham Hill station and there is a heavy police presence, including two police vans. Helicopters can be seen above the area.

Tweet by @London Ambulance Service London Ambulance Service / Twitter London Ambulance Service / Twitter / Twitter

West Midlands Police & Crime Commissioner David Jamieson called the event “really appalling”.

“My thoughts are with the victims, their families and the first responders,” he tweeted.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has thanked emergency services responding to the incident in Streatham: “My thoughts are with the injured and all those affected.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan tweeted: “I am in close contact with the Met Commissioner and local representatives, and want to thank our police, security and emergency services staff for their swift and courageous response. They truly are the best of us.

“Terrorists seek to divide us and to destroy our way of life – here in London we will never let them succeed.”

- With reporting from the Press Association, and Gráinne Ní Aodha

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel