#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Wednesday 21 October 2020
Advertisement

Three men arrested in London on suspicion of terrorism offences not connected to bridge attack

The men, all aged in their 30s, were arrested overnight.

Police officers hold a minute's silence at London Bridge Station
Police officers hold a minute's silence at London Bridge Station
Image: Xinhua/Xinhua News Agency/PA Images

THREE MEN HAVE been arrested in London on suspicion of terrorism offences.

Detectives from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, supported by armed police, carried out three search warrants and made three arrests at addresses in east London overnight.

The Metropolitan Police has said these warrants and the investigation behind them are “not linked to the London Bridge terrorist attack”.

Two men – aged 34 and 37 – were arrested, at separate addresses in Newham. A third – aged 33 – was arrested at an address in Waltham Forest.

All three were arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism offences under section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

They have been taken into custody at a south London police station and are being detained under the Terrorism Act. Searches at the addresses are ongoing.

Saturday’s attack 

Shortly after 10pm on Saturday, a white van struck a number of pedestrians on London Bridge. The vehicle then drove a short distance to Borough Market where its occupants got out and stabbed a number of people.

Eight people died as a result of the attack and dozens more were injured, some of whom are in a critical condition.

Police confirmed that the suspects had been shot dead within eight minutes of them receiving initial knowledge of the attack. A number of others have been arrested in connection with the investigation.

Read: Man arrested in Wexford in connection with London terror attack released without charge

Read: Charlie Flanagan says attack in Ireland is ‘unlikely’ and gardaí are ‘fully in control of situation’

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)