This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Friday 20 September, 2019
Advertisement

Longboat Quay owners have threatened to take legal action

Residents and owners feel that the DDDA should cover the cost of works required at the building.

Residents of Longboat Quay at Leinster House today
Residents of Longboat Quay at Leinster House today
Image: Leah Farrell/RollingNews.ie

Updated 22.54 

RESIDENTS OF LONGBOAT Quay have said that they could begin legal action by the end of the week.

This would be taken against the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) and the receiver if the financial offer to cover the cost of fire safety works in the building does not improve.

In a statement today, a group made up of owners and residents has said that it outlined its position to the DDDA last Friday and gave it seven days to respond.

The group has said that it will have “no option” but to go to court if no response is forthcoming.

The residents say that the DDDA is the owner of the development and that 18 of the properties are held by receivers.

Their statement goes on to suggest that these properties could be used to raise money for repairs:

The money that could be realised from these 18 apartments could pay for in full the cost of the works required. This is not a problem of our making. The DDDA and receiver are responsible, and it is for them to come forward with a full solution.

Bernard McNamara’s phone number

Earlier today Deputy Mary Lou McDonald said that she’s had no luck in getting developer Bernard McNamara’s phone number but has put a call out for it this afternoon.

The deputy repeated her challenge to Taoiseach Enda Kenny to intervene personally in the Longboat Quay controversy.

She then added that she would call Longboat Quay developer McNamara herself if Dáil deputies helped her get a hold of his phone number.

The call came as owners and residents of Longboat Quay held a “productive” meeting with Environment Minister Alan Kelly this afternoon.

The residents are facing a €4 million bill to fix fire safety problems at the development or they face being evicted.

They have already rejected an “unacceptable” offer of €750,000 from the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA).

Last week, when McDonald challenged the Taoiseach to phone the developer, Kenny had asked whether McDonald herself had made any attempts to call him.

Speaking today at leaders questions, the Sinn Féin deputy leader said she hasn’t been able to get his number but that she’d ring him if she got it.

Kenny responded to McDonald by saying that the Longboat Quay issue “is a far more complex issue than you portray it.”

The Taoiseach said that the case involves the DDDA, receivers, residents and Dublin Fire Brigade. He added worse cases of poor construction practices are likely to come out as a result of building done during the Celtic Tiger.

Kenny noted that the parties in the dispute held a meeting with the minister this afternoon but that he was not aware of the result of that meeting.

PastedImage-6493 Source: Google maps

First published 16.48 

Read: Longboat Quay residents will still have to find ‘€2 million’ for repairs after final offer of help >

Read: Residents told to pay €4 million or face being evicted over poor fire-proofing >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS (148)