We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A pier on Lough Derg Shutterstock/Andrej Blagojevic
Lough Derg

Man stranded for 12 hours on a boat because he 'didn't want to put anyone out'

The man spent the night alone on his craft on Lough Derg after it went aground having slipped its moorings.

A MAN STRANDED on his boat in stormy conditions for more than 12 hours didn’t call for help as he didn’t want to “put anyone out” and had to be rescued by the lifeboat service.

The incident underlined the need for anyone in difficulty on the water to immediately contact the emergency services, according to the lifeboat service.

The man spent the night alone on his craft on Lough Derg after it went aground having slipped its moorings, and the alarm was raised at 8.50am this morning by a passing cruiser.

The Valentia Coast Guard asked the Lough Derg RNLI crew to investigate the report made by the nearby cruiser of a vessel which had run aground behind Hare Island on Lough Derg. Winds overnight were force 5, gusting to force 7.

The lifeboat crew found the 16 foot cruiser in Church Bay on the Clare shore side of the lake. This bay is known for hazards such as sudden shallows and rocks, prompting the lifeboat to proceed with caution, and a volunteer waded to the stranded vessel when sufficiently close.

The RNLI member found one person on board, asleep in the cabin. He was safe, unharmed and wearing his lifejacket but had been stranded on his boat since 8pm on Thursday evening. He “had been reluctant to call the rescue services, anxious not to put anyone out,” according to a lifeboat spokeswoman.

The lifeboat brought the man’s vessel to safety and towed it to Garrykennedy harbour, where it was safely tied up at 10.50am.

Lough Derg RNLI helm Eleanor Hooker said the incident proved that “no callout is routine” and their training and experience tells volunteers to expect the unexpected.

We approached what we thought was an empty vessel which had slipped its moorings and found a person onboard who had spent the night alone, stranded in stormy conditions, and without help coming for them. The RNLI are there to answer any call for help. No lifeboat launch is ever a waste of our time or resources.

Deputy Launching Authority at Lough Derg RNLI station Pat Garland said all boat-users should call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coast Guard, when in any difficulty.

“RNLI lifeboats are launched at the request of the Irish Coast Guard, who then make the correct call on which search and rescue assets to deploy to the scene. We would urge the public not to delay calling for help. This could have had a very different outcome.”

Read: Bertie Ahern: Ireland leaving the EU would be an ‘act of insanity’

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.