This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10 °C Friday 5 June, 2020
Advertisement

Lucan murder victim may have been stabbed and run over with car

The murder has been linked to an incident in Clondalkin this morning during which shots were fired at a house.

Image: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

GARDAÍ ARE APPEALING for members of the public to assist them in their investigation into the violent murder of Neil Reilly in Lucan this morning.

The murder of the 36-year-old man has been linked to a shooting in the Liscarne Gardens area of Clondalkin at around 4am this morning. Shots were fired at a house with a number of people inside, though no one was injured.

A pursuit followed this incident and a number of cars crashed into another car at The Glebe in Lucan shortly afterwards.

Speaking to reporters at the scene of the killing this morning, Superintendent Dermot Mann said there was a “serious altercation on the street involving five or six people, or maybe more”.

Source: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

He said the victim sustained “substantial injuries” and was pronounced dead at St James’ Hospital.

Sources told TheJournal.ie the 36-year-old sustained stab wounds and Mann confirmed gardaí had received reports of knives and even a machete being used. However, he said no weapons had yet been found at the scene. He also confirmed gardaí received reports that the victim had been run over with a car.

Mann said there is “no known motive at this stage” but a murder investigation has been launched.

He appealed to people in the Liscarne Gardens and The Glebe areas to speak to gardaí in confidence as they work to establish what happened and who was responsible for the violent killing of Neil Reilly.

A number of people, we know, came out onto the street following the initial impact of the cars and they may have seen what happened. I’m really concentrating on the number of cars that were involved, the descriptions of that, the descriptions of the people that were around, the number of people and indeed how these people left. It is possible some of these people may have left on foot.

Superintendent Mann also asked members of the public who noticed cars speeding or driving erratically in between these two areas at around 4am this morning to get in touch.

He stressed that there was “no need to be afraid” as all information will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.

“It is a murder investigation, we want to uncover the truth.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Lucan garda station on 01 6667300, or Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

Read: Man killed in Dublin attack this morning>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (13)