This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17 °C Sunday 9 August, 2020
Advertisement

Man who "touched" teenage boys has name removed from sex offenders' register

The man was released from prison in 2002.

Image: Sasko Lazarov/RollingNews.ie

A DUBLIN CIRCUIT Criminal Court judge has allowed for the removal of a man’s name from the sex offenders’ register.

Judge Martin Nolan told the court that the 48-year-old man, who was jailed for three sex assaults in March 1998, had been deemed at low risk of re-offending by the Probation and Welfare Services.

Luigi Rea BL, defending, submitted to Judge Nolan that his client had had a four year sentence reduced to two and a half years on appeal over a decade ago.

The Dublin man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was released from jail in May 2002 and had been attending and completing rehabilitation courses.

Mr Rea said the offence had involved the “touching” of three 17-year-old male victims at a house party at which everyone had been drinking.

Mr Rea said his client had been conviction-free since his release and had a clean record before his offence.

He submitted that the man had complied with all the requirements of the Sex Offenders Act.

A garda inspector told the judge that he was concerned it had been a drink related incident in 1998.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Judge Nolan said he didn’t have the ability to put conditions on the man when removing his name from the sex offenders’ register but suggested he should deal with any alcohol problems.

The judge said the man’s name could be removed from the sex offenders’ register from today’s date with a stay on the order for four weeks to allow the Director of Public Prosecutions to make any appeal.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Aoife Nic Ardghail

Read next:

COMMENTS (26)