#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: -1°C Tuesday 18 January 2022

Man killed girlfriend after she wouldn’t let him look at her Facebook account

Kane Boyce claimed his partner jumped out of a moving car and had a seizure.

Image: Shutterstock/JaysonPhotography

A MAN KILLED his girlfriend after she wouldn’t let him look at her Facebook account, the Metropolitan Police have confirmed.

Kane Boyce (34) beat Paula Newman so badly he caused a fatal brain injury, after becoming convinced she was cheating on him.

Boyce had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter, but an Old Bailey jury today found him guilty of murder.

He was jailed for life, with a recommendation he serve a minimum of 20 years.

Investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Diane Tudway, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Boyce’s utter obsession with his unfounded belief that his girlfriend was cheating on him led him to brutally attack her.

He then tried to cover his tracks, disposing of evidence and concocting a series of lies that he rattled off to his friends and paramedics and later police.

“I am pleased the jury have now backed that decision and agreed his actions were such to cause Paula really serious harm in a blind rage because she refused to let him access her private social media accounts.

I am grateful for the bravery of Boyce’s previous partners who came to court and gave evidence of being assaulted by him. I urge anyone who is in a relationship and feels they may be at risk of domestic violence or abuse to find out about their partner’s previous history under Clare’s law. I encourage all partners in any form of abusive relationship to report it and seek help from the police or relevant supporting agencies.

The couple had been in a relationship for seven months, after meeting while living in a house share in Aviemore Close in Beckenham, London.

Newman had reportedly told friends she wanted to end things with Boyce.


Their landlord, who also lived with them, recalled hearing him shouting at Newman at about 8pm on 11 November 2013.

In the early hours of 12 November, neighbours reported hearing a man shouting and a woman screaming outside their homes for some time. One neighbour heard a man shouting “log on, log on” and threatening a woman who was crying “no, no, no”.

domestic violence Source: Shutterstock

At 3.15am Boyce arrived with Paula at a house where friends lived. She was virtually unconscious and covered in mud and vomit. Her face was badly bruised and scratched.

Boyce claimed she’d had a seizure and said he was going to put her to bed.

The London Ambulance Service were called at 7.20am.

Boyce then told friends he and Paula had argued. He said she had jumped out of the car while it was moving and run away from him before collapsing with a fit or seizure.

Paramedics began CPR but she was pronounced death at 8.38am at Croydon University Hospital. Boyce was arrested at 9.02am on suspicion of murder.

The jury heard he had a history of violence towards women and his former partners. Some resulted in convictions for assault but most of his victims were too scared to take things further with police.

‘It’s upsetting when people say Bayley is a monster and Ched Evans is a great guy’

NFL to run unsettling domestic violence ad based on real 911 call during Super Bowl 

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel