This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 22 °C Friday 7 August, 2020
Advertisement

Major incident declared in Manchester as hazardous chemical taken from stolen van

Talunex is highly toxic if swallowed and emits a very toxic gas upon contact with water and acids.

POLICE IN GREATER Manchester have declared a major incident after a hazardous chemical was removed from a stolen van.

The capsules of Talunex – used to control vermin – were in a grey aluminium box taken from a Ford Transit van found abandoned in Leconfield Drive, Blackley, at about 11.45am yesterday.

Superintendent Rebecca Boyce said: “Our rationale for declaring a major incident is that if handled or stored incorrectly, Talunex poses a very real risk to public health.

“Additionally, our investigation and any recovery of Talunex requires multi-agency specialists.

“Our priority is locating and safely recovering the Talunex.

“I would like to use this opportunity to appeal directly to the person/people who removed it from the van to contact the police, or Crimestoppers anonymously.

“I must stress that Talunex should not be touched, sniffed, eaten or allowed to come into contact with water.

“If this has happened or happens, please seek medical assistance immediately.

“Under no circumstances should Talunex be disposed of in general waste or flushed down a toilet or plughole.”

Talunex is highly toxic if swallowed and emits a very toxic gas upon contact with water and acids, added police.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The capsules are light grey, garden pea-sized spheres with a seam around the centre.

Dr Matt Pegorie, from Public Health England, said: “We urge members of the public who think they have come into contact with the capsules and are experiencing ill-effects to seek urgent medical attention.

“Possible symptoms include nausea, vomiting, chest pain, stomach pain and difficulty in breathing.”

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Press Association

Read next:

COMMENTS (4)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel