This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Friday 18 October, 2019
Advertisement

MH370 latest: Réunion calls off search for wreckage - but will stay 'vigilant'

A wing part was found two weeks ago.

A Municipal worker searches Reunion Island beaches last week.
A Municipal worker searches Reunion Island beaches last week.
Image: Fabrice Wislez

Updated at 9.30pm

FRANCE HAS SAID said it is calling off the hunt for wreckage from missing flight MH370 after 10 days of air and sea searches off its Indian Ocean territory of Reunion yielded no results.

The island’s top authority however said its search teams would maintain an attitude of “vigilance”.

Wing part discovery

A wing part washed up on the island on July 29 and was confirmed by the Malaysian prime minister to be part of the Boeing 777 which went missing on March 8, 2014 with 239 people onboard.

The find raised hopes of finally solving the mystery of what happened to the plane, prompting investigators to search a maritime surface of 10,000 square kilometres (3,900 square miles) and scour the island’s eastern coastline.

But the searches “have not led to the identification of anything that could have a link with a plane,” the French state’s representative on the island, Dominique Sorain, said in a statement.

- © AFP, 2015

Read: The mystery of flight MH370 is looking no closer to being solved>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (16)