This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 9 °C Thursday 20 June, 2019
Advertisement

Mike Pence denies he ever considered quitting the Republican ticket after emergence of THAT Trump video

The vice presidential nominee had been notably absent from the airwaves after saying he “couldn’t condone” Trump’s lewd language in the 2005 video.

Campaign 2016 Pence Mike Pence Source: Matt Rourke

INDIANA GOVERNOR MIKE Pence has denied that he ever considered leaving the Republican presidential ticket following revelations from a leaked 2005 video that showed Donald Trump boasting about forcing himself onto women.

The Republican vice-presidential nominee told CNN that reports he considered leaving the race were “absolutely false,” though he did not answer whether his wife, Karen Pence, was incensed by Trump’s lewd comments.

“It’s the greatest honour of my life to be nominated for vice president by my party. Look, politics is a tough business, I get that,” Pence said.

Click here if you can’t view this video

The Indiana governor reiterated that he was offended by Trump’s bragging that he could grab women “by the p***y,” and kiss women without permission because he was a celebrity. But the governor said he believed the real-estate magnate delivered a sincere apology over the weekend in multiple forums.

“As I said on Saturday, I couldn’t condone, I couldn’t defend those remarks. I encouraged Donald Trump on Friday to apologise for them. He did. He expressed his personal remorse. But I also encouraged him on Saturday to take that to American people, to show them his heart,” Pence said.

Pence praised Trump for “speaking boldly” during the second presidential debate on Sunday night, and slammed Hillary Clinton over her answer to a question about a private speech to people in the financial industry.

“Hillary Clinton, when she’s confronted with speeches on Wall Street, gave us a one-minute speech on Abraham Lincoln and never answered the questions that were posed,” Pence said.

Pence’s comments come after a weekend in which many high-profile Republicans broke off their support for their party’s presidential nominee in light of the 2005 video.

Rumours also swirled about the Republican National Committee’s involvement in boosting the campaign, and whether key members of Trump’s campaign staff were also considering quitting.

In a tweet this morning, campaign manager Kellyanne Conway mocked media outlets for reporting that Pence was considering dropping out, despite earlier rumors that Conway herself may be considering leaving the ticket.

Tweet by @Kellyanne Conway Source: Kellyanne Conway/Twitter

- Maxwell Tani

Read: Samsung has responded to the Galaxy Note 7 reports – and says it is ‘adjusting production’

Read: Trump’s compliment to Hillary surprised people – but he’s been saying nice things about her for years

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Published with permission from:

Business Insider
Business Insider is a business site with strong financial, media and tech focus.

Read next:

COMMENTS (57)