#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 5°C Tuesday 7 December 2021
Advertisement

'No confirmation' of terrorist motive: Norwegian PM

Several have been confirmed dead in Oslo, with more reported casualties on the island of Utøya. The PM has said: “The people who stand behind this wish to spread fear, but we won’t let them. We must remain calm.”

A victim is treated outside government buildings in the centre of Oslo.
A victim is treated outside government buildings in the centre of Oslo.
Image: Fartein Rudjord/AP/Press Association Images

FOLLOWING THIS AFTERNOON’S blast in central Oslo, the country’s Prime Minister has addressed the public – saying that, as yet, there was “no confirmation” that the explosion was a terrorist attack.

Speaking at a press conference today, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said: “We could never disregard a terrorist attack in Norway, but we have no confirmation yet as to whether that is fact. The government will meet later this evening to discuss this tragedy, and await full reports from police.”

He added: “Our thoughts go out to the people affected by these blasts, and to the brave people who are working at the scene.”

People have been told to stay away from Oslo city centre, remain calm, and “step forward with any pertinent information.” It is unknown how many people are trapped in the rubble, but searches are ongoing.

The situation in central Oslo has been described as “chaotic”, however Stoltenberg urged people not to panic: “The people who stand behind this wish to spread fear, but we won’t let them. We must remain calm,” he said.

Ten people have been admitted to Oslo University Hospital following the blast, with several seriously injured, Reuters reports.

Situation ‘critical’ in Utøya

Meanwhile, there been reports of fatalities on the island of Utøya, approximately 80 kilometres from Oslo.

The Norwegian Labour youth camp at Utøya has apparently come under attack, an island in Tyrifjorden in Hole municipality, TV2 reports. Norwegian newspaper Varden has reported that four people may be dead, after an eyewitness report from County Secretary Adrian Pracon.

Norwegian journalist Ketil B Stensrud tweeted this afternoon that there had been “reports of shots fired and people ‘swimming’ away in despair.”

The Prime Minister confirmed that a situation was developing in Utøya, but did not give any details: ”There is a critical situation at Utøya, and several ongoing operations as we speak,” Stoltenberg said.

Read: One arrested on Norwegian island following shootings >

Read: Seven now confirmed dead in Oslo blast – fears of many dead in Utoya shooting >

LIVE: Rolling coverage of Oslo explosion from state broadcaster NRK>

WATCH: First videos of explosion aftermath in Oslo>

In pictures: Explosion hits Oslo>

How news of the Oslo bombings unfolded on Twitter>

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)