This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Friday 6 December, 2019
Advertisement

Trump says he would be 'honoured' to meet with North Korea's Kim Jong-Un

Earlier, North Korea warned it can carry out a nuclear missile test ‘at any time and at any location’.

pjimage Source: PA

Updated 20.55

US PRESIDENT DONALD Trump says he would not rule out meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, under the right conditions, as Pyongyang threatens to carry out a sixth nuclear test.

Tensions on the Korean peninsula have been running high for weeks, with signs the North might be preparing a long-range missile launch or a new nuclear test – prompting tough talk from Washington, which has refused to rule out a military strike in response.

But the Trump administration is also spearheading a renewed diplomatic push to bring Pyongyang back to the negotiating table.

Trump has so far placed his biggest bet on getting China to use its leverage to pressure Pyongyang to change its behavior – a strategy that has failed to produce results in the past.

The Republican president has also said he is ready to act alone in the stand-off, however -and today signalled that this could involve face-to-face talks with Kim, who has yet to meet a foreign leader since taking power.

“If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him I would, absolutely. I would be honoured to do it,” Trump said in an interview with Bloomberg.

If it’s under the, again, under the right circumstances. But I would do that.

Earlier, North Korea warned that it will carry out a nuclear test “at any time and at any location” set by its leadership, in the latest rhetoric to fuel jitters in the region.

Tensions on the Korean peninsula have been running high for weeks, with signs that the North might be preparing a long-range missile launch or a sixth nuclear test – and with Washington refusing to rule out a military strike in response.

A spokesman for the North’s foreign ministry said Pyongyang was “fully ready to respond to any option taken by the US”.

Regime

The regime will continue bolstering its “preemptive nuclear attack” capabilities unless Washington scrapped its hostile policies, he said in a statement carried by the state-run KCNA news agency.

“The DPRK’s measures for bolstering the nuclear force to the maximum will be taken in a consecutive and successive way at any moment and any place decided by its supreme leadership,” the spokesman added, apparently referring to a sixth nuclear test and using the North’s official name, the Democratic Republic of Korea.

The North has carried out five nuclear tests in the last 11 years and is widely believed to be making progress towards its dream of building a missile capable of delivering a warhead to the continental United States.

It raises the tone of its warnings every spring, when Washington and Seoul carry out joint exercises it condemns as rehearsals for invasion, but this time fears of conflict have been fuelled by a cycle of threats from both sides.

The joint drills have just ended, but naval exercises are continuing in the Sea of Japan (East Sea) with a US strike group led by the aircraft carrier US Carl Vinson.

The Pyongyang foreign ministry spokesman said if the North was not armed with “the powerful nuclear force”, Washington would have “committed without hesitation the same brigandish aggression act in Korea as what it committed against other countries”.

The statement reasserts the North’s long-running rhetoric on its military capabilities.

Seoul also regularly warns that Pyongyang can carry out a test whenever it decides to do so.

Pyongyang’s latest attempted show of force was a failed missile test on Saturday that came just hours after US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson pressed the UN Security Council to do more to push the North into abandoning its weapons programme.

Tillerson warned the UN Security Council last week of “catastrophic consequences” if the world does not act and said that military options for dealing with the North were still “on the table”.

In an interview that aired Sunday on CBS television network’s “Face the Nation” programme, Trump said that if North Korea carries out another nuclear test “I would not be happy”.

Asked if “not happy” signified “military action”, Trump answered:

I don’t know. I mean, we’ll see.

© AFP 2017

Read: Trump calls North Korean leader ‘a pretty smart cookie’ – but isn’t sure if he’s sane

Read: Pope Francis wants to stop ‘a world war in parts’ over North Korea

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (64)