Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
CHESHIRE POLICE HAVE said the healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of the murder of eight babies at a hospital has been bailed pending further enquiries.
Nurse Lucy Letby (28) had been arrested on Tuesday in connection with the deaths and also on suspicion of attempted murder of six other babies, following a lengthy investigation by police into the deaths of babies at the Countess of Cheshire Hospital.
In a statement this morning, police said they continue to recognise that this investigation “has a huge impact on all of the families, staff and patients at the hospital as well as members of the public”.
The parents of all the babies are being kept fully updated and supported throughout the process.
Police added that its investigation is “very much ongoing” with “no set timescales”, but that it would provide any further updates when possible.
The hospital contacted the police after a clinical review found no “definitive explanation” for an unexpected increase in the number of baby deaths and collapses at the unit.
A review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health found “no single cause” to explain the increase and highlighted “inadequate” staffing levels.
The hospital stopped providing care for babies born earlier than 32 weeks in July 2016.
It looks after about 400 babies in its neonatal unit every year.
With reporting from AFP
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say