This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 7 °C Saturday 30 May, 2020

One child caught and returned to Oberstown but another is still on the run

Three inmates had escaped on Monday.

Image: Iain White/Fennell Photography

ONE OF THE children who escaped from the youth detention facility at Oberstown has been caught by gardaí.

However, another boy remains at large.

Three residents of the north Dublin facility took over a staff office on Monday night, injuring three staff in the process. One of the injured included Pat Bergin, the centre’s director.

The three assaulted a staff member and took a swipe card from them. They then made their way to a maintenance lockup and stole a sledge-hammer and an angle grinder.

They used the angle grinder to cut through the perimeter fence of the campus.

One of the boys was caught on Monday and another last night.

A statement from Oberstown today said:

“We can confirm that Obertsown Campus has been notified by an Garda Síochána that one young person who left the Campus on May 30 has been located and is being returned to the Campus. The Gardaí are continuing the search for the second young person. As this is a live investigation, we are currently unable to share further detail.”

The escape came just a day after Oberstown launched a report into its first year as the sole youth detention facility in Ireland.

Part of the centre’s review board report recommended 13 changes to perimeter fences and walls.

Read: Two young people remain missing after absconding from Oberstown campus

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next: