This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 18 °C Friday 7 August, 2020
Advertisement

Ofcom launches investigation into both the BBC and ITV

The news comes as Lord McAlpine, who had been wrongly identified as being part of a paedophile ring, is expected to reach a settlement with the BBC.

Lord McApline (file photo)
Lord McApline (file photo)
Image: Andrew Stuart/PA Wire/Press Association Images

OFCOM, THE INDEPENDENT regulator of the communication industry in the UK, has today announced that it is set to launch an investigation into both the BBC and ITV.

A spokesperson told the TheJournal.ie that it has launched “two new broadcast investigations,” identifying them as follows:

The first relates to a Newsnight report broadcast on 2 November into child sex abuse allegations. The second relates to the disclosure of a list of individuals alleged to be linked to child sex abuse on ITV’s This Morning, broadcast on 8 November.

It was the 2 November broadcast of Newsnight that led to Lord McApline being mistakenly identified as a member of a paedophile ring.

Despite not being named during the broadcast, he was subsequently identified online.

It is believed that McApline is set to reach a financial settlement with the BBC as a result of the accusation.

On the This Morning programme on 8 November, presenter Philip Schofield handed British Prime Minister a list of what he alleged to be Tory child abusers when live on air.

(Engin ÖZER/YouTube)

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The Guardian are reporting that Schofield, along with three staff members, have been reprimanded by ITV over the incident.

The Ofcom spokesperson said that both programmes had raised issues relating to the “application of generally accepted standards by ITV and the BBC,” along with the “application of standards to prevent unfair treatment to an individual, and unwarranted infringements of privacy.”

Read: BBC in apology over Newsnight child abuse report >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Paul Hyland

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)