Advertisement
Abdeslam, left, on the day after the attacks. BFM TV
Salah Abdeslam

"If I wanted, there would have been more victims": Paris attacks leader claims he chose not to blow himself up

Salah Abdeslam is the sole surviving jihadist responsible for the November attacks.

THE SUSPECTED RINGLEADER of the Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, decided not to blow himself up during the wave of killings in the French capital last year, his brother said.

Mohamed Abdeslam said his brother ”voluntarily chose not to blow himself up” along with the other Islamic State jihadists who killed 130 people in gun and suicide bomb attacks in November.

“If I wanted, there would have been more victims,” Salah Abdeslam told his brother from prison in northern Belgium, according to Belgian media chain BFMTV.

“Luckily, I did not follow through.”

Salah Abdeslam, the sole surviving suspect in the November attacks in Paris, was arrested in Brussels on March 18 after four months on the run as Europe’s most wanted man.

He is believed to have acted as a logistics coordinator and told investigators he was meant to carry out a suicide bombing at the Stade de France stadium, but backed out.

Four days after he was arrested, the Belgian capital was struck by IS bombings at the airport and a metro station carried out by jihadists with links to the Paris attacks cell.

The 26-year-old, who is about to be extradited to France, apparently told his brother he wants to cooperate with investigators, but denied any role in the Brussels bombings.

© – AFP, 2016

Read: Born in the middle of a war, this baby starved to death after just five months of life

Read: Mass grave found among ancient ruins taken from Islamic State

Your Voice
Readers Comments
73
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.