Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

RollingNews.ie
Pat Hickey

Pat Hickey is back in Ireland and is 'delighted' to be home for Christmas

The former OCI boss arrived in Dublin last night after spending time with family in the UK.

PAT HICKEY IS back in Ireland this morning five months after leaving for the Rio Olympics.

The 71-year-old was arrested in Rio de Janeiro after it was alleged he was involved in a ticket-touting operation.

He denies any wrongdoing.

Hickey left Brazil on Thursday evening after a bond of €410,000 was paid on the condition he returns to Brazil to face the charges.  However, he spent time in London visiting family and arrived home to Dublin last night.

In a statement released to the Irish Times, Hickey said he will undergo medical treatment and he reiterated that he is “totally innocent of all charges”.

Traumatic

He added that it had been “an extremely traumatic few months” for him and his family but that he was excited to be back for the festive period.

The statement read: “I am delighted to be home and to be able to spend Christmas with my family, my wife, Sylviane, my four children, my five grandchildren and hopefully the safe arrival of two more grandchildren in January.”

His legal team said that he had booked heart surgery in Ireland. He is expected to undergo the treatment in the New Year.

Hickey also thanked the International Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) for putting up his bail money.

Hickey, who stepped down from his position during the controversy, said that he would not be seeking re-election to the position in the New Year.

Public prosecutor responsible for the case Marcus Kac said the legal case could begin as soon as next month, and may go on for as long as a year. He said that the court had discretion to allow for the case to begin, should Hickey be unable to travel.

In his decision published last Monday in Rio, Judge Marcello Rubioli ordered that Hickey maintain representation in Brazil to receive all intimations of the courts.

Comments are disabled for legal reasons

Read: ‘I don’t think he is immortal’: Gerry’s leadership remains unfazed after recent scandals >

Read: Hollywood legend Zsa Zsa Gabor dies aged 99 >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.