This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Monday 20 May, 2019
Advertisement

Pat Hickey has his passport back and may be on his way to Ireland

Kevin Mallon may have his back by the end of the week.

Image: PA Wire/PA Images

PAT HICKEY’S LEGAL team in Rio de Janeiro said this afternoon that the former OCI President has received his passport back, and may already be on his way home to Ireland.

A judicial decision was published last Monday in Rio, allowing Hickey’s passport to be returned to him, more than four months after he arrived to Rio for the 2016 Olympic Games. This followed the payment of a bond of 1.5 million Brazilian Reals, by the Association of National Committees (ANOC) last week, who said the money was offered as a “loan”, which must be repaid.

Speaking in Rio de Janeiro this afternoon, Arthur Lavigne said his client is now in possession of his passport, and as far as he knows, “he has already left Brazil, and is on his way home.”

Lavigne said he would confirm later today whether Mr Hickey is already en route.

Meanwhile, the Sao Paulo based lawyer for Kevin Mallon, said the THG Sports executive arrested during the Games -who shared a cell with Hickey in Bangu maximum security prison – could have his passport returned by the end of this week.

Justice Marcello Rubioli reduced the bond amount due for the release of Mallon’s passport by half last Monday in Rio, following a request from his legal team.

The original amount required for Mr Mallon’s bond was R$1.5m, the same as that needed in Mr Hickey’s case. However, lawyer Franklin Gomes argued to the court that this amount was well outside of Mr Mallon’s means, and that as a “mere employee” of THG Sports, he should not be required to pay the same bond as demanded for the former OCI President.

Public prosecutor Marcus Kac subsequently suggested that a bond of R$120,000 should be paid by Mr Mallon. However, the judge conceded that R$750,000 would be sufficient in this case, in last Monday’s judgement.

Mr Gomes said Mr Mallon would pay the R$750,000 required, using “all of the resources he can”.

Both men were required to sign an agreement, stating that they would return to Brazil to attend to the ongoing legal process, as required.

Comments are closed as the matter is before the courts

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Sarah O'Sullivan

Read next:

COMMENTS