Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Thursday 7 December 2023 Dublin: 9°C
Special Criminal Court

Man jailed for eight years for making 500lb bomb

62-year-old Philip McKevitt was yesterday convicted for constructing the device at his Co Louth home in 2010.

SCC W Murphy 1 William Murphy William Murphy

A LOUTH MAN who was making a bomb in his shed has been sentenced by the Special Criminal Court to eight and a half years in prison.

Fully loaded, a detective previously told the court, the bomb would have weighed 500lb.

Philip McKevitt (62) of Mount Pleasant, Dundalk, was convicted last December by the three-judge, non-jury court of the possession of explosive substances at the same address on 22 May 2010.

At the beginning of the trial, McKevitt’s co-accused had pleaded guilty to the same offence.

Conan Murphy (29), son of a man found civilly liable for the Omagh bombing in 1998, was jailed for six years.

Investigations into the men began in May 2010, when gardaí received information about IRA activity in Louth, and a surveillance operation was put in place outside McKevitt’s house.

The house was observed for four days, during which McKevitt was seen with Murphy in the yard and a garda heard an angle-grinder being used in the shed.

On 22 May at 7pm, gardaí entered the shed. McKevitt was seen coming from the direction of a trailer.

Inside the trailer were two adapted gas cylinders, which had been deliberately altered with sections cut from the top of both, which were strapped to a wooden frame in the trailer.

In the boot of a car beside the shed there were fifty-two 500-gram bags of glucose.

Also seized by gardaí was a roll of wire, 377 metres long, recently spraypainted green for camouflage.

According to the investigating detectives, this was the command wire, normally used for detonating an explosive device from a distance.

A match for McKevitt’s DNA was found on the handle of one of the gas cylinders.

However, during interviews with gardaí, McKevitt said he did not know the trailer and gas cylinders were in his shed and that he had never seen them before.

This was the second time McKevitt had been tried for and convicted of the offence. The first trial took place at the Special Criminal Court in 2011 and McKevitt was convicted in February 2012.

However, a ruling by the Court of Criminal Appeal overturned the verdict and directed a retrial.

Presiding judge Ms Justice Isobel Kennedy said yesterday that mitigating factors in the case were McKevitt was working under the command of others and that he had had some difficulties with alcohol at the relevant time.

The sentence was backdated to 22 March last year.

Read: Filmmakers order to cut Bollywood scenes that poked fun at lawyers

Read: Court told of ‘exceptional turnaround’ by man with 70 convictions who punched pregnant woman

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.