This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 22 °C Tuesday 16 July, 2019
Advertisement

Over 100 school prefabs to be replaced with permanent classrooms

Minister Ruairí Quinn said the new scheme will see the creation of around 360 jobs.

Image: Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland

MINISTER FOR EDUCATION Ruairí Quinn has announced that some €15 million has been allocated for the next year to replace prefabs and provide permanent classrooms for some 2,650 students across the country.

Grants to provide new facilities will be offered to 46 schools with 115 prefab units. This follows a similar scheme last year which provided for the replacement of over 458 prefab units.

Today the minister said that replacing the prefabs offers better accommodation for students and “savings for schools and the Exchequer,” as well as providing construction jobs.

Quinn said savings of almost €5 million a year on prefab rental will be achieved under last year’s initiative, with a further €2 million from today’s announcement. The new grant scheme will also see the creation of an estimated 300 direct jobs and 60 indirect jobs.

Read: Parents fight against closure of special needs pre-schools>
Read: More than 1,000 retired teachers back for State exam jobs>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)