We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.


Lone 60-year-old sailor rescued amid storm-force conditions

The yachtsman’s VHF radio was washed overboard before his rescue, which saw the RNLI lifeboat spending 12 hours at sea.

A LIFEBOAT SPENT over 12 hours at sea rescuing a lone sailor after his yacht had become devastated in storm-force conditions this weekend.

The Castletownbere RNLI lifeboat was launched yesterday morning when Valentia Coastguard Radio was asked to assist a yacht in difficulty off Mizen Head in west Cork.

The sailor, in his 60s, had been in regular radio contact with Valentia Coastguard radio until yesterday morning, when his VHF radio was washed overboard in a storm.

He activated an emergency beacon, prompting the Castletownbere lifeboat, under the command of coxswain Brian O’Driscoll, to launch at 8am.

The lifeboat, the Annette Hutton, located the casualty at 10.40am 50 miles south-west of Castletownbere.

The Coastguard helicopter was also on scene amid force 8/9 winds and 30-foot swell.

RESCUE 20.08.16 (1) (1) RNLI RNLI


The yacht was taken under tow and the lifeboat proceeded slowly to Castletownbere in challenging sea conditions, after being at sea for 12 and a half hours.

Early into the tow lifeboat crew became concerned about the wellbeing of the sailor and  crew managed to transfer him to the lifeboat.

The sailor thanked all involved for ‘saving his life’. He said:

Only for the lifeboat, things would have ended up very badly today.

Lifeboat operations manager Tony O’Sullivan said:

The coxswain and crew are to be complimented on today’s rescue – they demonstrated skill, seamanship and endurance during what was a long and challenging day.

The eight-metre yacht, with one person on board, left the Azores in early August and ran into difficulties yesterday 45 miles south of Mizen head.

Read: BREAKING: Man rushed to hospital after being shot several times in Dublin

Read: Frank Feighan wants the European Medicines Agency to move from Canary Wharf to Leitrim

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.