Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 14°C Tuesday 16 August 2022
Advertisement

Restaurants closed over gas fears

Two premises in the North have been closed by inspectors checking the safety of gas appliances in the area.

TWO RESTAURANTS have been ordered to close following inspections by health officials examining gas appliances – near the location where two teenagers died of carbon monoxide poisoning, RTÉ reports.

The Ice House restaurant in Portstewart, Co Derry, and a chip shop Rasharkin, Co Antrim, were forced to close shop by inspectors. It has been reported that the proprietors contacted the HSENI themselves.

Up to 500 people have contacted the helpline following the deaths of the teenagers, which were caused by a gas leak in the holiday apartment they had been staying in to celebrate finishing finishing secondary school.

Stormont ministers will meet tomorrow in  order to discuss the possibility of introducing compulsory carbon monoxide detectors in new buildings in Northern Ireland.

The HSENI in partnership with gas supply companies have been trying to make a number of premises safe in the Castlerock and Coleraine areas, as part of the ongoing emergency response.

The HSENI Emergency Helpline number – 0800 0320 121 – will continue to operate between 8am and midnight until at least Friday.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS