#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Saturday 31 October 2020
Advertisement

State appeals sentence of teenager who tried to murder woman he met on dating app

The teen was sentenced to 11 years’ detention in November 2019 with a review to commence on 1 January 2023.

File image: The now 17-year-old lured the woman to an isolated area at the Sea Front, Queen's Road, Dun Laoghaire.
File image: The now 17-year-old lured the woman to an isolated area at the Sea Front, Queen's Road, Dun Laoghaire.
Image: Shutterstock/Yulia Plekhanova

THE STATE HAS argued that a review of the sentence imposed on a teenage boy, who tried to murder a woman he met on an internet dating app, after a five-year period is too early.

The boy’s barrister today noted that he and colleagues had dealt with more juvenile cases in the past few years than in the previous three decades.

The sentencing judge Justice Michael White was very experienced in juvenile matters, he submitted in reply, and had not erred in principle in sentencing.

The now 17-year-old, who cannot be named because he is a minor, has been in custody since December 2017, when he lured Stephanie Ng to an isolated area at the Sea Front, Queen’s Road, Dun Laoghaire.

After pleading guilty to a charge of attempted murder, the teenager was sentenced to 11 years’ detention in November 2019 with a review to commence on 1 January 2023. The State has appealed on the grounds of “unduly leniency”.

The teenager had met his 25-year-old victim on the Whisper social media app, where he had pretended to be 19. The boy was just 15 when he tried to kill Ms Ng during their first face-to-face meeting, after suggesting they take a selfie by the water’s edge. There, he grabbed her from behind and choked her to unconsciousness before slashing her neck with a knife.

Gardaí later found a book of drawings in his bedroom, containing a sketch of someone being cut up with a knife. The words, ‘serial killer’, had been written on another page.

Life destroyed 

His victim previously gave evidence of taking what she thought was her last breath, as the teenager tried to ‘choke the life’ out of her before leaving her for dead. She later felt that he was frustrated with himself for not having killed her.

Through tears, she told the Central Criminal Court that the boy had “destroyed” her life.

She attended a remote hearing of the Court of Appeal today, where the Director of Public Prosecutions appealed the leniency of the sentence imposed on her attacker. The boy and his parents also attended remotely from where he is detained at Oberstown Children Detention Campus.

Anne-Marie Lawlor SC informed the court that the DPP wasn’t taking issue with the sentence of 11 years, but said that the review after five years did not reflect the gravity of the offence.

Lawlor said that the effect of the sentence imposed was to permit the release of the respondent after five years.

“It is the minimum sentence he will serve and does not reflect the gravity of the offence,” she argued.

She said that one could not quibble with the sentencing judge’s view that the headline sentence was one of life.

“It is the view of the respondent that his culpability is reduced in light of his youth and mental condition,” she said. “The director does not quibble with the reduction to 11 years in light of those factors.”

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

“I say that the minimum time he must spend in custody cannot be five years,” she added.

Patrick Gageby SC, for the teenager, argued that a very important part of the case, to which the judge had given long thought, was the possibility and probability of an emerging psychiatric illness or personality disorder in his client in the coming three or four years.

He said that there was no expectation of release after five years. He pointed to a previous case, where the judge reviewed a life sentence on a juvenile after 10 years, but didn’t release him for a further two years.

“The learned trial judge is very experienced in juvenile matters and, in the last few years, we’ve all done more juvenile cases than … in the past 30 years,” he noted.

Justice Patrick McCarthy noted that the court did not have ‘the fullest information’ about the boy’s medical treatment from before the offence.

“If we were to resentence, would that material be available to us?” he asked.

“I’d have to take instructions on that,” replied Gageby.

The President of the Court of Appeal, Justice George Birmingham, who also sat with Justice Isobel Kennedy, said the court would reserve judgment and give a decision when in a position to do so.

About the author:

Natasha Reid

Read next:

COMMENTS