This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Thursday 17 October, 2019
Advertisement

US intelligence say MH17 shootdown may have been a 'mistake'

They added that it was still unclear “who pulled the trigger”.

Image: Vadim Ghirda/AP/Press Association Images

MALAYSIAN FLIGHT MH17 may have been shot down by “mistake” by ill-trained pro-Russian separatists.

That’s according to US intelligence officials.

They dismissed Moscow’s accounts of the incident.

An anonymous senior intelligence official said evidence gathered so far suggested the separatists launched the SA-11 surface-to-air missile that blew up the Malaysian airliner.

They added that it was still unclear “who pulled the trigger”.

© AFP, 2014

Read: Separatists hand over MH17 black boxes, but Australia says there is a “cover-up”>

Read: ‘From time to time, we screw up’: Sky News reporter on picking up MH17 luggage>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (121)