This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 21 °C Tuesday 23 July, 2019
Advertisement

Sixth man arrested in connection to Lee Rigby murder

A 22-year-old man has been arrested by officers investigating the murder of British soldier Lee Rigby in London last week.

Image: John Stillwell/PA Wire

A 22-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested this afternoon by officers in London investigating the murder of Lee Rigby in Woolwich last week.

The man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder by detectives from the MPS Counter-Terrorism Command supported by specialist firearms officers.

He was arrested in St Paul’s Road, in Highbury Grove, north London, and has been taken to a south London police station where he remains in custody.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stuart Osborne, Senior National Co-ordinator Counter Terrorism and head of the Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command, said investigating police had been undertaking “a complicated and often rapidly developing round the clock investigation since the horrific murder of fusilier Lee Rigby”.

“The Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command, supported by national counter-terrorism officers and the Security Service, continue to work tirelessly and painstakingly to uncover the full circumstances relating to this attack.

Osborne said officers are pursuing a significant amount of CCTV, social media, forensic and intelligence opportunities and have active lines of inquiry.

Two men arrested at the scene of the attack remain in hospital and will be formally interviewed when it is possible to do so, Osbornes said. Three further men were arrested yesterday and remain in custody at this time.

“The public have been very supportive in relation to our appeals for help. I now ask that anyone who knew the two men who carried out this attack to consider if they have any information which may be useful to contact us in the strictest of confidence. As I have often said we do need the help of communities to keep us safe and would urge anyone with information to contact the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321,” Osborne said.

“We urge anyone who filmed or took photos as events unfolded in John Wilson Street to send moving or still images to police via woolwich@metincident.co.uk - please include your name and contact details, which will be treated in strict confidence. Anyone who may have such material is asked not to delete it after sending it in.”

Read: French soldier stabbed in neck outside Paris
Read: Murder of London soldier raises fears of ‘lone wolf’ attacks
Read: Police unsure if decapitated British soldier was targeted or not

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (10)