We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

The Pimlico Tavern. Google Maps.
dublin housing

Man who said he was providing homeless services charged for trespassing in Dublin pub

The man was greeted with applause by supporters in the public gallery during his court hearing.

AN ACTIVIST WHO claims he was providing homeless services while squatting at a vacant pub in Dublin has been released on bail after being charged with criminal trespass.

Stephen Bedford, 37, with an address at a homeless hostel on Usher’s Quay, Dublin 8, appeared at Dublin District Court, charged with public order offences.

He is accused of trespassing with intent to interfere with property or commit an offence at Pimlico Tavern, Dublin 8, breach of the peace in Pimlico, and later giving a false name at Garda station from Oct 16 – 17.

Videos and images of the arrest were posted on social media of a man on a balcony remonstrating with the crowd below as a flag flew from the roof of the building.

At the started of his hearing, he was greeted with applause by supporters in the public gallery, whom Judge Treasa Kelly ordered to leave the courtroom.

Court Garda Sergeant Niall Murphy said there was no objection to bail subject to a condition to stay out of Pimlico.

Counsel said his client had issues with that because Mr Bedford had been “squatting and offering services to homeless people in that property”.

He then faced a bail objection. The court heard the premises were vacant, but there were Garda fears it was likely to happen again.

Following a recess, the defence said the accused would sign the bail bond with the condition imposed.

The judge then released Mr Bedford, a self-employed audio-visual technician, who has yet to enter a plea.

He did not address the court, was granted legal aid and was told to return to court on October 31.

The judge directed gardai to provide the defence with copies of prosecution evidence and noted that there was no CCTV from the premises.

Two other defendants were released on bail and will also appear in court on October 31 on related charges.