This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 16 °C Sunday 22 September, 2019
Advertisement

Suge Knight collapses in court after judge sets bail at $25 million

“He’s being treated worse than Charles Manson,” his attorney told reporters afterwards.

File photo
File photo
Image: AP/Press Association Images

RAP MOGUL MARION “Suge” Knight collapsed in court today and was hospitalised as a Los Angeles judge set bail at $25 million over his fatal hit-and-run case.

Knight’s eye fluttered and he was sweating profusely before he fell to the ground, knocking his head on a table and falling unconscious, his lawyer said after the latest court hearing for the 49-year-old.

“He’s being treated worse than Charles Manson,” his attorney Matthew Fletcher told reporters, referring to Knight’s treatment including being held in solitary confinement

Knight’s bail had previously been revoked as he was considered a flight risk. Prosecutors had asked for it to be set at $25 million because of Knight’s past extensive criminal record.

Knight’s lawyer argued that prosecutors had made “a mockery of” the case by requesting $25 million bail, which he called an “absurd” figure.”

He suggested bail be set at $2 million, saying his client is “probably one of the most recognisable people in Los Angeles” and does not pose a flight risk.

In response, prosecutor Cynthia Barnes said she was appalled by Knight’s “extensive history of violence, both in this case and over the last 30 years.”

The judge said $25 million bail was “reasonable, and it is so set,” noting that Knight could face multiple life prison terms if convicted.

Medical problems

Knight, who faces charges of murder and attempted murder, has complained of medical problems since he was arrested in January.

At his last court appearance he said he had lost 35 pounds in weight as well as the sight in one eye.

On February 3, Knight was taken to hospital after complaining of chest pains, shortly after appearing in court over the hit-and-run that left one man dead and another in the hospital the previous week.

He was taken to hospital again on February 19, shortly before he was due to appear in court for allegedly robbing a camera from a photographer. He was again hospitalised after his last court appearance on March 2.

Knight co-founded Death Row Records along with Dr Dre in the early 1990s.

The label launched stars such as Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur, but collapsed in 1996 when Knight was jailed for violating a probation order by beating up a rival in Las Vegas.

He again served a 10-month jail stint in 2003 after getting into a fight outside a Hollywood nightclub. Last year, he was shot six times at a music awards party.

© – AFP 2015

Read: Graham Dwyer was a “sadistic, brutal pervert with nothing on his mind other than murder”, jury told

Read: Teenager who planned to behead soldiers jailed for 22 years

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS