We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.
Children's Court

Teen pleads guilty to stealing double-decker bus for 30 minutes

The court heard that the teenager, who had left his care facility in Cork, managed to get the bus started.

A YOUTH, who stole a double-decker bus in Dublin and took it for a 30-minute drive before handing himself over to Gardaí, has been remanded on bail pending sentence.

Dublin Children’s Court heard the 17-year-old boy was missing from a care unit when he stole the bus from outside the Go Ahead Ireland premises in Ballymount on a date in August last year.

He pleaded guilty to the bus theft charge when he appeared before Judge Paul Kelly yesterday.

The court heard that the teenager, who had left his care facility in Cork, managed to get the bus started.

He headed along the Naas Road and went on a drive for about 30 minutes before bringing the bus back.

Defence solicitor Brian Keenan said the teen then “presented himself at Ballyfermot Garda station.”

Charges for driving without a licence or insurance were dropped, and the defence confirmed there was a guilty plea to stealing the bus.

The Director of Public Prosecutions directed that the case should not be sent to a higher court, and Judge Kelly accepted jurisdiction.

Garda Padraig McCarthy said the teen made no reply when he charged him over the bus theft and added that the youth had one prior offence for stealing a phone from a supermarket in Co Cork.

Asked if he got away with that offence, the youth replied, “No, I got a previous conviction”, and he added that he sold the phone. “I was stuck in Cork and trying to get to Dublin,” he explained.

The court heard he is now in new accommodation in Dublin and looking to learn a trade.

Judge Kelly adjourned sentencing for a probation report to be furnished to the court. He granted the youth legal aid and told him to “stay off the buses other than being a passenger”.