#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Tuesday 27 October 2020
Advertisement

Terrorism ruled out after car ploughs into restaurant, killing young girl

A prosecutor said that it was “highly likely” the driver was under the influence of a drug.

Police blocking off a road near the town of Sept-Sorts, where the incident occurred.
Police blocking off a road near the town of Sept-Sorts, where the incident occurred.
Image: Kamil Zihnioglu AP/PA Images

A CAR SMASHED into a pizza restaurant east of Paris late yesterday, killing a girl, but investigators said the young driver had attempted suicide and the incident was not terror-related.

He was arrested at the scene, authorities said.

The episode came just five days after a terror-linked car attack on soldiers, the latest assault in France since early 2015.

Investigators have “ruled out the terrorist hypothesis” behind the latest incident, which took place in the town of Sept-Sorts, 55km east of Paris, a source close to the inquiry said.

The public prosecutor’s office in the town of Meaux also ruled out terrorism.

“There is no doubt he did this voluntarily,” said deputy prosecutor Eric de Valroger, adding it was “highly likely” the driver was under the influence of a drug.

In Paris, interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said the fatality was a girl aged 13, and not aged eight as initially reported.

Four people were seriously hurt, after a preliminary figure had been given of six.

The driver, born in 1985, “is not known to the intelligence services and has no criminal record,” Brandet said.

One of the four injured was the girl’s younger brother, police said.

French President Emmanuel Macron sent his condolences, tweeting with the hashtag #SeptSorts that his thoughts were with the victims and their loved ones.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

France is on edge after suffering a series terror-related attacks, including the use of cars as weapons.

On 9 August, six soldiers were injured after they were hit by a rented BMW in the western Paris suburb of Levallois-Perret. The suspect, a 36-year-old Algerian man, was later shot and wounded after a dramatic motorway chase.

A BMW was involved in yesterday’s incident.

The death toll from jihadist attacks in France has exceeded 230 since January 2015.

The country has been under a state of emergency since the Islamic State group attacked in Paris in November 2015, leaving 130 people dead.

© AFP 2017 

Read: Child killed and 12 injured as car ploughs into restaurant in France

Read: Suspect shot and arrested on motorway after six soldiers injured earlier in Paris

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (23)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel