This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Monday 18 March, 2019
Advertisement

Two men arrested as gardaí move Travellers from illegal site

They had been evicted from a halting site in January.

Image: Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland

TWO MEN HAVE been arrested as gardaí attempted to move Travellers from an illegal halting site in Dundalk.

The men were arrested for obstruction as gardaí attempted to move caravans from the site on the N52.

A number of families are believed to have moved last night, but up to six families were still on site this morning.

The men were arrested and two caravans seized as gardaí attempted to move them.

The families are among the 23 families evicted from the Woodlawn Park halting site in January, after Louth County Council deemed it unsuitable.

The council maintains a plan to refurbish the site is progressing, but local TD and Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams today said no work had been done.

In a Periscope broadcast from the site, Adams said that the evictions were “shameful, wrong and had to stop”.

GA Trave

“It is unconscionable that Louth County Council has not accommodated these families in the intervening four months,” he said.

“This morning these families, including many children, are being forced to move again, having been given less that 24 hours notice.

“There is a responsibility on the State, including local authorities, to provide traveller appropriate accommodation for traveller families.”

Read: What on earth is the solution to the rental crisis?

Read: Bailieboro locals say it was resources they needed, not enquiries

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (57)