This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: -1 °C Monday 18 November, 2019
Advertisement

'It's a brutal regime': Trump condemns North Korea after imprisoned US student's death

Otto Warmbier was released last week after nearly 18 months in detention in the country.

American student Otto Warmbier at the Supreme Court in Pyongyang last year.
American student Otto Warmbier at the Supreme Court in Pyongyang last year.
Image: Jon Chol Jin

US PRESIDENT DONALD Trump has slammed the “brutal regime” in Pyongyang after it was confirmed a US student released from North Korea in a coma last week had died.

Otto Warmbier was released last week after nearly 18 months in detention in the country. The 22-year-old was medically evacuated to the US last Tuesday, suffering from severe brain damage.

He died yesterday, surrounded by relatives in his hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.

“The awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible,” the family said in a statement.

Speaking at a White House event, Trump said:

It’s a brutal regime.

He added:

Bad things happened but at least we got him home to his parents.

In a separate written statement, Trump said, “Otto’s fate deepens my Administration’s determination to prevent such tragedies from befalling innocent people at the hands of regimes that do not respect the rule of law or basic human decency.”

The United States once again condemns the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson added:

We hold North Korea accountable for Otto Warmbier’s unjust imprisonment, and demand the release of three other Americans who have been illegally detained.

Warmbier was on a tourist trip when he was arrested and sentenced in March last year to 15 years hard labour for stealing a political poster from a North Korean hotel, a punishment US officials decried as far out of proportion to his alleged crime.

Source: PBS NewsHour/YouTube

‘At peace’

Doctors last week revealed that Warmbier had suffered severe neurological injuries, and described him as being in a state of “unresponsive wakefulness,” opening his eyes and blinking, but showing no signs of understanding language or of being aware of his surroundings.

His family said yesterday that he first appeared anguished when he first arrived home, but died “at peace”.

Kim Jong-Un’s regime claimed Warmbier fell into a coma soon after he was sentenced last year, saying the college student had contracted botulism and been given a sleeping pill.

Medical tests carried out last week in the United States offered no conclusive evidence as to the cause of his neurological injuries, and no evidence of a prior botulism infection.

Warmbier’s doctors said he had suffered extensive tissue loss in all regions of his brain, but showed no signs of physical trauma.

They said that given his age, Warmbier’s severe brain injury was most likely caused by cardiopulmonary arrest cutting the blood supply to the brain.

‘No excuse’

Warmbier’s release came amid mounting tensions with Washington following a series of missile tests by Pyongyang, focusing attention on an arms buildup that Pentagon chief Jim Mattis has dubbed “a clear and present danger to all.”

The death also brought attention to North Korea’s human rights record. A Washington-based rights group tied Warmbier’s fate to many others “starved, tortured, brutalised and killed in North Korea’s political prison camps”.

Three more US citizens are currently being held by North Korea. Two were teachers at a Pyongyang university funded by overseas Christian groups, and the third a Korean-American pastor who was accused of espionage for the South.

Following Warmbier’s death, the tour group that arranged his trip to North Korea said it would no longer take Americans into the isolated country.

“The devastating loss of Otto Warmbier’s life has led us to reconsider our position on accepting American tourists. There had not been any previous detainment in North Korea that has ended with such tragic finality and we have been struggling to process the result,” China-based Young Pioneer Tours said in a statement.

“Now, the assessment of risk for Americans visiting North Korea has become too high. The way his detention was handled was appalling, and a tragedy like this must never be repeated,” it said.

© AFP 2017 with reporting by Daragh Brophy 

Read: Portugal in mourning as firefighters continue to battle deadly wildfire >

Read: Family calls for improved cardiac services at Waterford after man dies during ambulance transfer >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (45)