#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13°C Tuesday 5 July 2022
Advertisement

At least 10 killed in 'non stop' shelling of Severodonetsk, Ukraine, by Russian forces

Western intelligence has predicted that Moscow’s campaign will stall amid heavy losses and fierce resistance.

Ukrainian servicemen squat during a patrol in a recently retaken village, north of Kharkiv.
Ukrainian servicemen squat during a patrol in a recently retaken village, north of Kharkiv.
Image: Mstyslav Chernov/PA

Updated May 16th 2022, 8:34 PM

AT LEAST 10 people were killed in the latest shelling in Severodonetsk in the east of Ukraine, as the city is almost surrounded by Russian troops, the Lugansk region governor Sergiy Gaiday said today.

Russian troops “are shelling Severodonetsk without stopping,” Gaiday said in a statement in Telegram.

“At least ten people were killed. It is currently extremely difficult to check the area due to new shelling,” he added, urging the locals not to leave the shelters.

Severodonetsk is the easternmost city still held by Ukraine, and its fall would grant the Kremlin de facto control of Lugansk, one of two regions – along with Donetsk – that comprise Donbas.

But Russia’s attempt to cross a river to encircle it had been repelled with heavy losses of equipment, according to Lugansk governor Sergiy Gaiday.

To further deter the attack, Russian-occupied railway bridges leading to Severodonetsk were blown up, the Ukrainian army said on its Facebook page late Sunday, posting a video of a huge explosion taken from above.

Ukraine was also preparing for a new Russian push in the eastern Donbas region today, as Kyiv said its army’s counterattack around Kharkiv had gained momentum.

Since failing to take the capital at the beginning of the invasion in late February, control of Donbas has become one of Moscow’s primary objectives – but Western intelligence has predicted its campaign will stall amid heavy losses and fierce resistance.

“We are preparing for new attempts by Russia to attack in Donbas, to somehow intensify its movement in the south of Ukraine,” President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in his nightly address.

“The occupiers still do not want to admit that they are in a dead-end and their so-called ‘special operation’ has already gone bankrupt,” he added.

Presidential adviser Oleksiy Arestovich told local television that Russian troops were being transferred in the direction of Donbas after withdrawing from Kharkiv following the Ukrainian counteroffensive.

Kyiv’s troops have made so much progress in the northern region that they have almost reached the border with Russia, according to interior ministry adviser Vadim Denisenko, although air raid sirens still sounded in Kharkiv city early today.

Arestovich said the retreating Russian forces were being sent towards Lugansk.

russia-ukraine-war A Ukrainian firefighter works inside a destroyed cultural center in Derhachi, eastern Ukraine. Source: Bernat Armangue/PA

For its part, Russia’s defence ministry claimed it had struck four artillery munitions depots in neighbouring Donetsk.

Air strikes had also destroyed two missile-launching systems and radar, while 15 Ukrainian drones were downed around Donetsk and Lugansk, it added.

‘Behind schedule’

But UK defence chiefs said Russia’s offensive in Donbas had “lost momentum”.

Demoralised Russian troops had failed to make substantial gains and Moscow’s battle plan was “significantly behind schedule”, UK Defence Intelligence said.

It added that Russia may have lost one-third of the ground combat forces it committed in February and was “unlikely to dramatically accelerate” its advance in the next 30 days.

Ukrainian commanders say they expect a turning point in their favour by August, but Western powers have cautioned the conflict will turn into a war of attrition stretching into next year.

On Sunday, Nato pledged open-ended military aid for Kyiv, with Germany’s Annalena Baerbock promising it “for as long as Ukraine needs”.

“Ukraine can win this war,” Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg added.

The show of support came as Finland confirmed it would apply to join the alliance, jettisoning decades of military non-alignment.

Just hours after Finland’s announcement, Sweden’s ruling party said it was also in favour of joining, in another remarkable turnaround of political and public opinion.

“The best thing for Sweden’s security is that we apply for membership now and that we do it with Finland,” Social Democratic Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson said.

Stoltenberg said the alliance would look to provide both countries with interim security guarantees while their applications are processed, including possibly by increasing troops in the region.

germany-nato-foreign-minister-meeting US Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks during an informal meeting of the North Atlantic Council in Foreign Ministers' session in Berlin. Source: Michael Sohn

In Berlin, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said he heard “almost across-the-board, very strong support” for the bids, despite misgivings from Turkey.

Ankara has accused both Sweden and Finland of harbouring Kurdish extremists, but Stoltenberg said it was not blocking their membership and was confident of finding common ground.

Moscow has repeatedly warned both countries of consequences if they join the alliance, while insisting the Nordic nations have nothing to fear from Russia.

In apparent retaliation, it has pulled the plug on electricity supplies to Finland, with which it shares a 1,300-kilometre border.

Missile strikes

On the ground in Ukraine, bitter fighting continued throughout the country.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

In Lviv on Sunday, regional governor Maksym Kozytsky said four Russian missiles hit military infrastructure near the border with Poland – the first time the city has been struck since 3 May.

No casualties were reported, and Ukrainian armed forces said they destroyed two cruise missiles over the region.

In the south, the mayor of the southern city of Mykolaiv warned residents that explosions had been heard early today.

russia-ukraine-war Ukrainian serviceman walks past a blown Russian APC near Kutuzivka, north of Kharkiv. Source: Mstyslav Chernov/PA

In the southeastern city of Mariupol, about 600 Ukrainian troops remained holed up in underground tunnels and bunkers under a steelworks there, fighting a rearguard battle.

In his address, Zelenskyy said “very complicated and delicate negotiations to save our people” in the vast Azovstal plant continued daily.

Families of the soldiers have appealed to China to intervene to secure the release of the dead and wounded.

The United Nations and Red Cross helped to evacuate women, children and the elderly from the plant where they were sheltering earlier this month.

Petro Andryushchenko, an adviser to Mariupol’s mayor, said on Telegram that a “huge convoy” of 500 to 1,000 cars had arrived in the city of Zaporizhzhia.

© AFP 2022

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (1)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel