This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 15 °C Sunday 26 May, 2019
Advertisement

Victims launch legal action against BBC and Jimmy Savile's estate

Lawyers for 31 of the alleged victims of sexual abuse say they have taken the first steps in what could be a major legal action.

The BBC Broadcasting House in Portland Place, London
The BBC Broadcasting House in Portland Place, London
Image: Chris Radburn/PA Wire

LAWYERS FOR 31 alleged victims of sex abuse by late television presenter Jimmy Savile said today they have launched legal action against the star’s estate and the BBC.

Solicitor Alan Collins confirmed to AFP that a writ has been issued at the High Court in London in relation to alleged abuse by the BBC entertainer, who died in 2011 aged 84.

“The purpose of issuing the writ is to protect our clients’ position and to seek management directions from the court to ensure the claims are administered as efficiently as possible,” he said.

“At this stage we are unable to expand in detail on the nature of the cases or the allegations that have been made, which range in seriousness from inappropriate behaviour to serious sexual abuse.”

The number of alleged victims his legal firm was in contact with “grows on a daily basis”, Collins said.

Savile was a hugely popular but eccentric figure, famed for his shock of white hair, tracksuits and chunky gold jewellery, but since his death his reputation has been destroyed by revelations that he abused hundreds of children and women.

British police said last month in a report into his activities that Savile “groomed the nation” over six decades, hiding behind his fame to assault girls, boys and adult women on BBC premises and in schools and hospitals.

The publicly-funded BBC made Savile one of its biggest stars in the 1970s and 1980s as presenter of BBC TV’s “Top of the Pops” chart show and children’s programme “Jim’ll Fix It”.

The revelations about the abuse by Savile threw the BBC into crisis.

The broadcaster has commissioned an independent investigation into the allegations.

In December the BBC also published a critical review into the decision by its flagship current affairs programme “Newsnight” to drop a report into the alleged abuse following Savile’s death.

The presenter’s estate, worth a reported €5 million, was frozen in November in the wake of the allegations.

- © AFP, 2013

Read: Savile victims to pursue compensation claims against BBC, NHS and others >

Read: Report details Savile abuse in hospitals, hospice and TV studios >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)