This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Wednesday 21 November, 2018
Advertisement

Irish adults are willing to pay €83 for water services

A new survey also shows that almost a quarter have attended a water protest in the past year.

A water protester in Jobstown, Tallaght last month.
A water protester in Jobstown, Tallaght last month.
Image: Photocall Ireland

IRISH PEOPLE ARE willing to pay around €83 for water.

This is according to a new study that looks at public attitudes towards the charges.

It was found that while more than a third (39%) were still not willing to pay for water services – the other 61% came up with the figure of just over €80 as the average amount they were willing to pay.

Those without children and individuals from a lower social class were found more likely to be unwilling to pay.

The survey asked Irish adults aged sixteen and over a variety of questions relating to their attitudes towards the charges.

Protests 

It was also found that almost a quarter (24%) of Irish adults have attended a water charges protest in the past year.

The research for the figures took place between 20 November and 2 December – meaning that it excludes those who might have taken part in the demonstration on 10 December, which saw a turnout of tens of thousands. 

Results 

It was shown that men were more likely to attend the protests, with 29% male attendees compared with 20% female.

The age group most likely to have attended were those aged between 45 and 54 years of age – out of which almost a third (32%) had attended a water protest.

The figures also found that people with children and those of a lower social class grouping were also more likely to have attended a protest – with just under a third (32%) of both of these groupings saying they had attended a protest.

Referendum 

Individuals were also asked about their view on having a referendum about the public ownership of Irish Water and the prevention of its privatisation in the future.

The vast majority (81%) were in favour of having such a constitutional referendum to ensure that the utility remains in public hands.

These figures come from a new study carried out by Coyne Research that surveyed 1,000 people and balanced respondents according to sex, age, social class and region.

Read: TD defends telling Irish Water worker “I was elected to break the law”

Also: Irish Water: No rules were broken when GMC Sierra won metering contract

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (98)