This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Saturday 7 December, 2019
Advertisement

Wreckage of Sunbeam is 'now in two pieces'

The 111-year-old wreckage was washed up onto a beach in Kerry in 1903, but has become dislodged.

THE 111-YEAR-OLD WRECKAGE of a boat that washed up on a Kerry shore has broken into two pieces, the Department of Heritage has said.

Locals yesterday called for the government to intervene, after the wreckage became dislodged from Rossbeigh Beach. Residents feared the wreck being swept out to sea and lost.

A spokesperson for the Department told TheJournal.ie that a marine archaeologist had been on site yesterday, but the wreckage had already split.

“The wreck itself is now in two parts with the main part, including the stern, about halfway up Rossbeigh beach while the bow section which broke away is now at Rossbehy Point at the northern end of the beach.

“The wreck now lies just above the high water mark and is directly under an 11 metre high shelf of sand dune which has been undermined by the storm.”

The Department spokesperson said that people should stay away from the wreckage and the sand dunes.

“Members of the public are asked to respect the wreck, to observe it from a safe distance, never to interfere with it, and are reminded that this is a legally protected wreck under the National Monument Acts. The penalty for a breach of the act includes a fine of up to €50,000 and/or a term of up to 12 months imprisonment.”

The Department say that once the archaeologist has completed their report, the next steps will be decided.

Read: Moves to protect 111-year-old shipwreck washed up by storm on Kerry beach

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (32)